+ Reply to Thread

Default August Games Recap?

Destiny 2. Totally forgot about it. Beta starts tonight/now and I'll be there. It says the 29th but then every version gets "early access"? Weird way to do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohcDVmVfPLA

Absolver. Launches tomorrow and I'll be spending some time there. A few times in the past
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eypGqZtEQ

Fortnite. Launched late last month. Fun and simple shooter/defense to play, oddly complicated menus and systems, bit of a cash grab. I have one free key for this if someone wants it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mtfo8asqjM

Dauntless. Beta began a few weeks ago. Just fighting bosses. Fights are very well done but mechanics are not well communicated. Many frustrated / terribad randumbs and I'm sure I have more to learn. Can't find a good vid for this. Lots of junk on youtube with randumbs just trading blows and chugging potions, and the official stuff is scripted. Might have to make a quick video myself later, but I'm downloading Destiny 2 ATM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Default Re: August Games Recap?

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Destiny 2. Totally forgot about it. Beta starts tonight/now and I'll be there. It says the 29th but then every version gets "early access"? Weird way to do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohcDVmVfPLA

Absolver. Launches tomorrow and I'll be spending some time there. A few times in the past
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eypGqZtEQ

Fortnite. Launched late last month. Fun and simple shooter/defense to play, oddly complicated menus and systems, bit of a cash grab. I have one free key for this if someone wants it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mtfo8asqjM

Dauntless. Beta began a few weeks ago. Just fighting bosses. Fights are very well done but mechanics are not well communicated. Many frustrated / terribad randumbs and I'm sure I have more to learn. Can't find a good vid for this. Lots of junk on youtube with randumbs just trading blows and chugging potions, and the official stuff is scripted. Might have to make a quick video myself later, but I'm downloading Destiny 2 ATM.
    Review and opinions on Destiny 2 please. Will you be playing the PC version?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

My first impression of Destiny 2 is almost perfect. The game launched flawlessly and is stable. It dropped me immediately into a super simple screen with all the common first things you change like brightness and resolution. Combat feels fine. Game did not give any sort of instruction and I didn't really need any beyond opening the controls menu and looking at the key assignments.

Really impressed with the effects on screen like weather and explosions. I loathe how games blind you or have horrible motion blur, but the rain in this game was beautiful. It did mess with my vision, but at the same time it didn't stop me from playing. I was flashbanged by the boss and it stopped me from aiming, but it didn't make my whole screen solid white and I felt like I could still act.

My only complaint is that apparently character creation is random? I didn't think about it at first because the default image was male and all I needed to pick was a class but I realized during the tutorial I was making girly noises. Tried making a new character and realized there is no selector for race/gender, only class. So I'm sitting here like a dumbass rerolling (three load screens plus pauses to wait to be able to skip two cinematics) to create my three characters.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    My first impression of Destiny 2 is almost perfect. The game launched flawlessly and is stable. It dropped me immediately into a super simple screen with all the common first things you change like brightness and resolution. Combat feels fine. Game did not give any sort of instruction and I didn't really need any beyond opening the controls menu and looking at the key assignments.

Really impressed with the effects on screen like weather and explosions. I loathe how games blind you or have horrible motion blur, but the rain in this game was beautiful. It did mess with my vision, but at the same time it didn't stop me from playing. I was flashbanged by the boss and it stopped me from aiming, but it didn't make my whole screen solid white and I felt like I could still act.

My only complaint is that apparently character creation is random? I didn't think about it at first because the default image was male and all I needed to pick was a class but I realized during the tutorial I was making girly noises. Tried making a new character and realized there is no selector for race/gender, only class. So I'm sitting here like a dumbass rerolling (three load screens plus pauses to wait to be able to skip two cinematics) to create my three characters.

Wuuuuuuuut? I'm assuming that's a beta thing then? Because that would be like super dipshit of them to not let you select your gender/etc.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Wuuuuuuuut? I'm assuming that's a beta thing then? Because that would be like super dipshit of them to not let you select your gender/etc.
    I'm pretty sure it's a beta thing. There's an option in there to turn off your helmet that won't let you use it. Maybe the character builder just wasn't ready yet?

Assuming you play on PC VK? I was pretty set on getting it on Ps4, how is performance?

I'm on PC. Flawless performance for me on the settings it recommended me (High).

Calling this a beta was really misleading. Everything works perfectly but there are no features. There's just the tutorial and one mission that rewards a random weapon from what seems to be just the pool of starter weapons from all classes, and one armor set that's not a higher tier, just an alternative to starter. At the start of the one and only mission there's a mediumish open area where you can kill mobs and mini-bosses, but the chests from them reward nothing.

I'm already bored with it.

Absolver felt pretty good, but it's deep. I opened the menu and fought a person once, and it's DEEEEEEP deep. Moves from different schools scale with different stats with rankings ABCD like Dark Souls weapons, then they also have things like block break and interrupting attacks. Every single attack in the game has a timing attribute unique to it's animation where if you start your next attack at the right time you get bonus damage and very significant bonus speed. It's way too much to be a side game IMO. I will never be able to just pick it up and play it now and then.

If population holds it could be a great, great game that evolves multiplayer fighting forward a huge leap but I'm predicting a really harsh flop.
    http://steamcharts.com/app/473690

Welp, Destiny 2 "beta" demo is over. It was fantastic proof of concept with perfect optimization and fun gameplay. It was refreshing to actually fail for a change. A few of my pub games came down to me at 120+ kills and the other two randumbs barely 60 combined. I also always had more assists and was always on par with revives. If we had won I know from experience it would be a negative experience for everyone, they'd call me an elitist, a cheater or a kill hog. I dealt with this for a long time on Warframe. It's frustrating but at the same time refreshing to actually lose for a change when people aren't up to the challenge.

Apparently the PvP was ass because aim assist was way, WAY too good. Lots of vids going around of people getting free headshots three at a time. Seems like that would be an easy thing to fix though.

Wow. Can't believe I missed this completely. Have you guys ever heard of WH40k Inquisitor Martyr? STEAM just popped up and said Valec showed me this back on Tuesday? I'm not paying $50 for an early access ARPG with no population and no hype. Especially since I got google with gameplay previews from 2015... but it looks awesome. Definitely bookmarked for for the next sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/52...sitor__Martyr/