+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1

    Default Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Fucking sweet.

    https://owlcatgames.com
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Chris Avellone is a story telling god. I will play anything he has been a part of but if he is lead writer? Its magic.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Looks interesting. I'll probably get it to support Avellone, but the in game movement (especially in combat) looks slow and tedious as fuck.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Saratoga, NY
    Posts
    1,061

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Googling Chris Avellone also introduced me to the fact that they are remaking System Shock...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    I know, I also got excited about that. Aeinna didn't care though.

    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    I kickstarted this game. I'm a huge fan of Pathfinder lore as well as isometric RPGs, so it was a match made in heaven for me.
    "I do think Christianity makes people more stupid. That is a consequence, in many ways, of a disgusting religion. I don't think it's very honest, with their ideas of sacrifice, and of pain, all this nonsense, all this masochistic view of life. (...) And they have the propagating view that half the world is going to end in eternal pain because they don't submit to it. I find it disgusting in that sense - completely disgusting."
    -Simen Midgaard

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Is there any news on a release date for this?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Is there any news on a release date for this?
    Not yet. I keep getting updates on new races they are adding and shit. No release date, though.
    "I do think Christianity makes people more stupid. That is a consequence, in many ways, of a disgusting religion. I don't think it's very honest, with their ideas of sacrifice, and of pain, all this nonsense, all this masochistic view of life. (...) And they have the propagating view that half the world is going to end in eternal pain because they don't submit to it. I find it disgusting in that sense - completely disgusting."
    -Simen Midgaard

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    I just watched this video by Casey Cassum. The game looks very promising imo (Sky Ponies aside).


    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    New Trailer for it.

    I just pre-ordered it on Steam. I'm going to buy it anyways. I'm kind of excited to play a D&D game where I don't know anything about the lore for once.


    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Comes out in 5 days, I'm excited to play it. Though, I will admit I think the gameplay looks slow as fuck.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  12. #12

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Comes out in 5 days, I'm excited to play it. Though, I will admit I think the gameplay looks slow as fuck.
    We pre-ordered it on GoG. Been playing Star Control Origins in the meantime.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    We pre-ordered it on GoG. Been playing Star Control Origins in the meantime.
    What are you nerds gonna play on your first play through?

    I'm thinking I might do a knife fighter rogue.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  14. #14

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    What are you nerds gonna play on your first play through?

    I'm thinking I might do a knife fighter rogue.
    Rogues always disappoint me in party based RPGs (on account of never truly being able to utilize stealth to good effect) - so not sure. Maybe a Sorcerer.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    Rogues always disappoint me in party based RPGs (on account of never truly being able to utilize stealth to good effect) - so not sure. Maybe a Sorcerer.
    Yeah I get annoyed with that shit too. I'll probably just end up being a fucking fighter because I never get tired of mowing shit down.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Sooo.... two of my companions, both female, one VERY sjw and one bordering on it. I'm ok with one companion being that way because I can just not have them in my party but i'm stuck with them for now because I always gotta play a good character first. The barbarian's story seems almost predictable and I would even venture to guess what happened and if its true, that is shitty story telling.

    This isn't keeping me from playing because I am hoping owlcat decided to put the opposite view in game from other companions. But if that view point only comes from evil alignment, the game and owlcat can go choke on a trannies dick and will have made a game that could have been amazing, into trash.

    Tempted to start over, cause the barbarian is gonna fucking get on my nerves.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Saratoga, NY
    Posts
    1,061

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    WTB more in depth lazy review.

    Is it worth it or should I just stick with trying to finally finish a Divinity Original Sins 2 playthrough.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    WTB more in depth lazy review.

    Is it worth it or should I just stick with trying to finally finish a Divinity Original Sins 2 playthrough.
    First let me say, I still hate Amiris (the barbarian) guts. If I could sacrifice her to a god, like in PoE, I would. The only other character who annoys me is Linzi, the bard but not enough to murder her, just leave her on the side of the road. I really like Harrim (favorite) and Jaethal seems interesting. I want to like Regongar but meh and everyone else so far seems ok. Granted, I have only gotten to level 6 (have restarted a ton, nature of games like this) so they could have more depth later on.

    They touted that the companions in this game would be really good and have more meaning than other games but I ain't fucking seeing it so far. Disappointed in that aspect.

    It was Obsidan levels of buggy but they have done a few patches and it has gotten way better. The biggest problem is some of the fights. They kinda screwed up the difficulty level. I should not, at level 2, encounter something that can one shot me on normal difficulty, over and over again while trash mobs can be sneezed on and die. They did talk about tweaking that but I don't know if they have yet. I have noticed the fights aren't so bad. I do accept some challenge depending on what it is I am doing but a random trash mob shouldn't annihilate my whole group. I've been playing these games for over 20 years, I know how to build characters.

    The character system is really nice. I wish they had some of my favorite classes, like Arcane Archer, weapon master, pale master (hopefully DLC) but you can't see what prestige classes do, which is irksome because I am fucking not gonna waste time to build a character to only find out I don't like the prestige, that needs to be fixed. Generally I make wizards, I LOVE 3.5 D&D (aware this is pathfinder but it is similar enough) wizards but meh on them in this game. Sorcerers are just hands down better than them in every way in this game. Currently playing a sorc that is gold dragon bloodline, level 5 and whooping ass.

    Not sure how I feel on the kingdom building aspect yet. It is weird but not hating it.

    It is a slower game. There is no fast movement button, combat is slower and the A.I. just isn't great, yet not bad enough to micromanage unless you need healing or a certain buff.

    The story is good so far. Even though it doesn't delve into normal fantasy tropes (gods, end of the world etc) it is entertaining me. Most of the side quests are really well done and have a good story behind them. There is this whole thing that is going on with trolls and kobalds that is neat.

    Despite its bugs and flaws, I think it is well worth it and could be the next coming of NWN 1 and 2 for me. I hate that it is getting shit all over in the reviews, it isn't a bad game and they care enough to fix what is broken (had a horrible bug that deleted all my save files). I'd like to see them expand on this, add a ton of dlc's and an expansion or Kingmaker 2. Which I am not so sure is going to happen with all the hate it is getting.

    I could come back in a few weeks and say the game was trash, depending on how it plays out. But I have gotten my money's worth already, so no regrets.

    Edit:

    Wanna add that Alchesmists are sweet, sorcerer bloodlines are AWESOME (I get to turn into a mother fucking dragon) and even Paladin's look fun. The classes are a huge factor in making this game awesome. Do I want to be a ranger that gets fire SLA's (hello flamestrike)? They got it. Want a druid that can pick arcane spells along with their divine ones? In there. This is why I have restarted over and over. Only downside is most classes are not great at low level or just flat out suck. Gotta hit around level 4 to 6 to start to see them get better. God I forgot how bad low level casters are.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 09-29-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    I'm still playing through only on chapter two so far with about 18 hours played. I keep restarting with new characters as per usual.

    My impressions:

    This is one of the best D&D cross-overs to date. It does a much better job of being a CRPG than PoE. So far I am very happy with the purchase at only 39.99 as I will probably be playing it for many, many more hours to come.

    The Good: There are a ton of character optimizations and feats. The combat has a huge level of scaling difficulty, allowing you to breeze though it or wrack your brain. Furthermore, each map and monster encounter feel like a hand crafted D&D encounters. The game also lets you skip a whole bunch of shit that might otherwise be tedious (like Kingdom Management which I found out right away that I have zero interest in pursuing.). I've really enjoyed the lore and learning about the Pathfinder setting which I am not familiar with. The camping feature allows you to play a character like a wizard and it still feels rewarding. This is because regardless of what class you play, you will need to rest often. They've made a realistic balance between exploring and encounters. Also, the alignment system feels very good-- A TRUE RPG.

    The Bad: Movement is way too slow at times, and occasionally outright alt-tab worthy. They took the terrain effects VERY seriously, which is great for in combat scenarios but horrible as shit for non combat explorations. The first dungeon you do, I spent somewhere around two hours running back and forth just trying to open a fucking door. I eventually got tired of running in circles and looked it up online. The slowness left a very bad taste in my mouth. There are a plehthora of bugs (like Aeinna said) but they are tackling them very quickly. I wish there were more artwork for characters and item sets.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  20. #20

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    I'm still playing through only on chapter two so far with about 18 hours played. I keep restarting with new characters as per usual.

    My impressions:

    This is one of the best D&D cross-overs to date. It does a much better job of being a CRPG than PoE. So far I am very happy with the purchase at only 39.99 as I will probably be playing it for many, many more hours to come.

    The Good: There are a ton of character optimizations and feats. The combat has a huge level of scaling difficulty, allowing you to breeze though it or wrack your brain. Furthermore, each map and monster encounter feel like a hand crafted D&D encounters. The game also lets you skip a whole bunch of shit that might otherwise be tedious (like Kingdom Management which I found out right away that I have zero interest in pursuing.). I've really enjoyed the lore and learning about the Pathfinder setting which I am not familiar with. The camping feature allows you to play a character like a wizard and it still feels rewarding. This is because regardless of what class you play, you will need to rest often. They've made a realistic balance between exploring and encounters. Also, the alignment system feels very good-- A TRUE RPG.

    The Bad: Movement is way too slow at times, and occasionally outright alt-tab worthy. They took the terrain effects VERY seriously, which is great for in combat scenarios but horrible as shit for non combat explorations. The first dungeon you do, I spent somewhere around two hours running back and forth just trying to open a fucking door. I eventually got tired of running in circles and looked it up online. The slowness left a very bad taste in my mouth. There are a plehthora of bugs (like Aeinna said) but they are tackling them very quickly. I wish there were more artwork for characters and item sets.
    I'd disagree on the difficulty scaling, at least at the moment. If you try to scale it to core rule-set it's got some completely broken shit. The developer is addressing it, but things like meeting a CR15 werewolf as a random encounter at level 2 is broken. There are a variety of situations where if you are trying to do a core difficulty run through that you're going to have to scale it down to much easier on account of your entire party being gibbed in 10-15 seconds by vastly over-scaled encounters. You *can* scale it up or down anytime, so it's not game breaking, it's still frustrating.

    It's frustrating because it's face-roll on story mode or normal, but certain encounters and enemies aren't scaled right for normal scaling / normal crits / 1X damage.

    With respect to the Kingdom stuff, there is tons of lore and conversations specifically related to it's management. I'm surprised you turned it off.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    I want to add that maybe there is some better companion stuff in the game because last night, I pissed Valarie the fuck off. To the point where she is being cold to me, Q_Q.

    I also finally got to the area where my alchemist is and I do not know what I did differently but I have a quest chain that has totally changed, a semi-important person died, was rude to me with his last breath, literally was like "Fuck you, its your fault" (keel over and die).

    Alignment really matters and did not know this because usually it doesn't. If a party member speaks up about how they feel in certain situation and you pick not what they believe in, its gonna affect their attitude toward you. Haven't seen that since NWN. I hope companions don't leave you, cause I am pretty sure Valarie is going to soon if she can and then i'll be without a tank.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    I'd disagree on the difficulty scaling, at least at the moment. If you try to scale it to core rule-set it's got some completely broken shit. The developer is addressing it, but things like meeting a CR15 werewolf as a random encounter at level 2 is broken. There are a variety of situations where if you are trying to do a core difficulty run through that you're going to have to scale it down to much easier on account of your entire party being gibbed in 10-15 seconds by vastly over-scaled encounters. You *can* scale it up or down anytime, so it's not game breaking, it's still frustrating.

    It's frustrating because it's face-roll on story mode or normal, but certain encounters and enemies aren't scaled right for normal scaling / normal crits / 1X damage.

    With respect to the Kingdom stuff, there is tons of lore and conversations specifically related to it's management. I'm surprised you turned it off.
    Well for me story and easy was way too easy. Normal is a more balanced challenge so far. That said I've only struggled, in the way that you've indicated, on maybe two fights. The first was a bear treant that was highly resistant to damage. I had everyone switch to the acid cantrip spell and was able to kill it. The second was a greater weretiger at level 3. That fucker killed almost my entire party before I got it down. Other than those two instances, the Stag Lord fight is the only other thing that I felt was a "tough" challenge. Maybe I will see what you mean as I progress further in the game.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  23. #23

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Well for me story and easy was way too easy. Normal is a more balanced challenge so far. That said I've only struggled, in the way that you've indicated, on maybe two fights. The first was a bear treant that was highly resistant to damage. I had everyone switch to the acid cantrip spell and was able to kill it. The second was a greater weretiger at level 3. That fucker killed almost my entire party before I got it down. Other than those two instances, the Stag Lord fight is the only other thing that I felt was a "tough" challenge. Maybe I will see what you mean as I progress further in the game.
    That sounds about right, because enemy damage is reduced by 20%, critical are vastly weakened, enemy stats are lowered; etc. If you do custom and select the core rules implementation, eg. normal critical, normal enemies, and normal scaling there are some ridiculously lopsided encounters I had to cheese my way through. Like a guy with the stag lord that kept one shotting all my party members. This is a legitimate complaint out there about the game right now (core rules aren't scaling like they should in some encounters), so I felt obligated to bring it up.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,091

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    I want to add that maybe there is some better companion stuff in the game because last night, I pissed Valarie the fuck off. To the point where she is being cold to me, Q_Q.

    I also finally got to the area where my alchemist is and I do not know what I did differently but I have a quest chain that has totally changed, a semi-important person died, was rude to me with his last breath, literally was like "Fuck you, its your fault" (keel over and die).

    Alignment really matters and did not know this because usually it doesn't. If a party member speaks up about how they feel in certain situation and you pick not what they believe in, its gonna affect their attitude toward you. Haven't seen that since NWN. I hope companions don't leave you, cause I am pretty sure Valarie is going to soon if she can and then i'll be without a tank.
    I wanted to echo the alignment thing. They've done such a fantastic job with the good and evil, that sometimes I have a hard time trying to roleplay my evil rogue. I didn't really experience much SJW shit yet, execpt for Ocatavia (? the elf chaotic good wizard chick) who bragged about being a polyamrous roastie. But I also noticed she is a follower of the godess of passion, so I gave her a free pass.

    For a small indie studio, I'm impressed as hell by this game. If they could speed up exploration and maybe find a way to have less loading screens I'd give this game a 9. For me it sits at like an 8 right now.


    Edit: on another note, they Tarrucio villian dude, is a great fucking rival. I loved to hate it from the first moment I saw him.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    I wanted to echo the alignment thing. They've done such a fantastic job with the good and evil, that sometimes I have a hard time trying to roleplay my evil rogue. I didn't really experience much SJW shit yet, execpt for Ocatavia (? the elf chaotic good wizard chick) who bragged about being a polyamrous roastie. But I also noticed she is a follower of the godess of passion, so I gave her a free pass.

    For a small indie studio, I'm impressed as hell by this game. If they could speed up exploration and maybe find a way to have less loading screens I'd give this game a 9. For me it sits at like an 8 right now.


    Edit: on another note, they Tarrucio villian dude, is a great fucking rival. I loved to hate it from the first moment I saw him.
    I specifically have alignment choices turned off in dialog so I have a first play through without knowing how it will turn out.

    Amiri the barbarian is a raging SJW. Maybe it only seems that way at first but after her spiel about how men suck, wahmenz stronk, I don't need no man and I quote in a camping dialog "everyone thinks women don't need brains", I was just done. Her constantly trying to prove herself to be better than any man and the majority of her starting dialog was centered around it, was blah. I will say I do not know if I would feel this way if it wasn't for our real life culture/society pushing shit like this.

    Though Amiri just went up a level over Linzi cause that fucking bitch, holy shit, I can NOT believe her companion quest. If I could hang Linzi for her bullshit, I would. Fucking moron.

    The one companion who seems to offer nothing in terms of speaking out about choices is Jaethal. Where is her opinions? Valarie being the most outspoken and the definition of lawful, she making my playthrough rough.

    I just discovered too that there is seasons in the game. Spent a month in the throne room skipping days getting kingdomy stuff done and when I left, its snowing! Very cool.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts