+ Reply to Thread

Default Victories against Cultural Marxism

This thread most assuredly won't get daily posts, but it'd be great if it did.

In major Supreme Court case, Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to make wedding cake for gay couple
    http://archive.is/QvQSW
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Default Re: Victories against Cultural Marxism

It bothers me that this went up as a question of artistic expression. I don't immediately see a way to read the full decision and the articles on google news don't include how it was split. I'd be curious to know if this was divided left/right again or if the decision widens things beyond art.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    It bothers me that this went up as a question of artistic expression. I don't immediately see a way to read the full decision and the articles on google news don't include how it was split. I'd be curious to know if this was divided left/right again or if the decision widens things beyond art.
    As far as I'm aware the case hasn't been reviewed yet. The DOJ just threw their lawyers behind the bakers. The fundamental question being posed is whether someone can force you to perform services for them. It will probably split the way it usually does.

Even if Trump is a fuckup for the rest of his term, at least we're not in the TPP, and at least Hillary didn't get to add another liberal justice to the high court.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

I think this is a fine but distinct issue for a good reason.

You can't help being born black. You can't help being born attracted to the same sex. You can't help being born blind, or deaf, or jewish. No one should be discriminated against for any of those things.

However, being a gay person in a gay marriage is no longer just an attraction. It is a choice to be with someone of the same sex. I don't feel like the choices a person makes should be protected by the constitution. If you choose to walk around in an SS unifrom hieling Hitler, I shouldn't have to serve you in my store. If a gay baker doesn't want to do straight weddings or serve Christians (Not a smart move probably) then I'm ok with that too.

Would we be having this discussion if it were a Muslim Butcher that refused to cut some pork for a BBQ?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    As far as I'm aware the case hasn't been reviewed yet. The DOJ just threw their lawyers behind the bakers. The fundamental question being posed is whether someone can force you to perform services for them. It will probably split the way it usually does.

Even if Trump is a fuckup for the rest of his term, at least we're not in the TPP, and at least Hillary didn't get to add another liberal justice to the high court.
    Oh, I misunderstood. I thought they had ruled in his favor.

But that is NOT the question being posed.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/qp/16-00111qp.pdf

They're posing this as a 1a issue regarding religious expression.

Even if they rule in his favor an atheistic business owner couldn't make any use of the decision because it's not about business, it's being presented as being about religion. Zavon really would still have to serve someone in an SS uniform doing a nazi salute in his bake shop, unless there's some separate law or protection against that.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Zavon really would still have to serve someone in an SS uniform doing a nazi salute in his bake shop, unless there's some separate law or protection against that.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Most Americans Oppose White Supremacists, But Many Share Their Views: Poll
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/most-amer...195150184.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ipsos
    For instance, while only 8 percent of respondents said they supported white nationalism as a group or movement, a far larger percentage said they supported viewpoints widely held by white supremacist groups: 31 percent of Americans polled strongly or somewhat agreed that “America must protect and preserve its White European heritage,” and 39 percent agreed that “white people are currently under attack in this country.”