+ Reply to Thread

Default Freaking Destiny 2

It keeps trying to get me to bite. I have a few question if anyone knows.

1. Will this be played on a secure server?
    2. Is it actually an MMORPG? Or is it instanced play like the first one with a couple of random strangers showing up in the same instance?
    3. Is it buy to play or will it have a sub of some kind?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Default Re: Freaking Destiny 2

1) IIRC there were articles about the PC version NOT having dedicated servers. Also it's aim helper for consoles was getting a lot of negative feedback during the beta/demo on PC for being too helpful to players in PvP. I don't think getting it on PC for PvP is a good idea. PvE worked flawlessly for me during the beta/demo though.

2) No. It the same as The Division AFAIK. Some open world bits and random matchmaking but not really MMO. It gets compared because it has e MMORPG features like raids, events, boss mechanics, loot tiers, etc.

3) Buy, but they're already planning expansions and DLC's that will cost money and selling "season pass" deals. It's a wallet grabber.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    1) IIRC there were articles about the PC version NOT having dedicated servers. Also it's aim helper for consoles was getting a lot of negative feedback during the beta/demo on PC for being too helpful to players in PvP. I don't think getting it on PC for PvP is a good idea. PvE worked flawlessly for me during the beta/demo though.

2) No. It the same as The Division AFAIK. Some open world bits and random matchmaking but not really MMO. It gets compared because it has e MMORPG features like raids, events, boss mechanics, loot tiers, etc.

3) Buy, but they're already planning expansions and DLC's that will cost money and selling "season pass" deals. It's a wallet grabber.

Ahhh ok. Well I think you talked me out of it lol. I don't touch shit that doesn't have secure servers with a ten foot pole.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Ahhh ok. Well I think you talked me out of it lol. I don't touch shit that doesn't have secure servers with a ten foot pole.
    You have consoles though right? You can get it on consoles right now.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Anyone playing this on PC? I binged through the single player stuff to hit 20/200 but when I got to the other side it still feels like single player. No one says anything in the strikes, can't even tell if the chat works. There doesn't seem to be any public chat at all in the open areas/ Even though there are people around there's no way to talk to the area unless I pick one person and whisper. :/

VK, see this is what I think a lot of PC gamers aren't going to understand about Destiny coming from Destiny 1. The game is more akin to Diablo 2/3 than any 'real' MMORPG. Yes D2/3 has actual chat, but it only worked if you were in a game with other people. The main experience of Destiny is solo-grinding and solo-PvP, unless you've already got some community to play with.

There are whole websites dedicated just to Destiny LFG posts/recruitment because the game does not take any initiative to help build a community. There were some improvements in Destiny2 such as Clans and the other thing I cant remember that's supposed to be a type of mentoring system for group content.

But yea, unless you already have a group to play with, or are very active in finding one to play with, it's going to feel like a lot of solo play with a sprinkling of groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    VK, see this is what I think a lot of PC gamers aren't going to understand about Destiny coming from Destiny 1. The game is more akin to Diablo 2/3 than any 'real' MMORPG. Yes D2/3 has actual chat, but it only worked if you were in a game with other people. The main experience of Destiny is solo-grinding and solo-PvP, unless you've already got some community to play with.

There are whole websites dedicated just to Destiny LFG posts/recruitment because the game does not take any initiative to help build a community. There were some improvements in Destiny2 such as Clans and the other thing I cant remember that's supposed to be a type of mentoring system for group content.

But yea, unless you already have a group to play with, or are very active in finding one to play with, it's going to feel like a lot of solo play with a sprinkling of groups.
    I don't know anything about the Destiny games, but in the modern world of MMOs... That just sounds really dumb. Especially for a shooter game.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    I don't know anything about the Destiny games, but in the modern world of MMOs... That just sounds really dumb. Especially for a shooter game.
    It's an instanced based shooter like Warframe, but with all the chats/community information offloaded from the game itself. Aka, its entire multiplayer is designed for consoles in mind and they did nothing to change that with the PC release.

It's an instanced based shooter like Warframe, but with all the chats/community information offloaded from the game itself. Aka, its entire multiplayer is designed for consoles in mind and they did nothing to change that with the PC release.
    Speaking of, I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only could my third weapon be a freaking BAMF sword that took me to third person camera, but I could bind a "swap weapons" button that now works exactly like Warframe. Tapping swaps my first and third weapon, holding switches to my third. <3

I think I was vaguely aware of melee weapons from talking to KGB IRL but I had no idea they were this good. I enjoyed the shotguns leveling up but it was a pain to reload them all the time because 15-16 shells didn't last and they always got put away empty. The sword just stores the ammo so I don't really have to think about it. I think at one point I had a shotgun that reloaded itself while away but it wasn't the boomstick high damage type I wanted.

Swords are really nice, but their ammo tends to lack pretty heavily.

The game really does a decent job of making 'Exotic' (legendary?) items have unique stats and enable play-styles.

A youtuber I watch a lot (MFPallytime, some of you might know him) did a "first thoughts" of this game. I thought you guys would find it relevant. He talks about some of the stuff you guys mentioned:

"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

He's dead on about vs Warframe. The scaling in Destiny is luxurious. The whole game just feels great at every level and is always interesting to play. I love that I can build for effectiveness and still meet a challenge.

Unfortunately Destiny narrows really hard when you hit a certain gear level (265 IIRC?). Suddenly nothing drops anywhere except for dailies, PvP and raids.

At this point, I've made enough gold in WoW to buy Destiny 2. Does anyone have a low end/older machine that they are playing it on? I'm wondering if I can even run it.

I played the beta on an oldish PC. 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA 470, AMD Phenom II x4 Deneb Black. I bought it on Xbox though because everyone I game with is on Xbox now.

My thoughts: Destiny 2 is not a sequel. It is just a continuation of Destiny 1. They recycled almost everything. I played for about a month and maxed out three characters. With really nothing else to do, I won't be playing until the first DLC releases in December. Honestly, if I hadn't bought the $100 version that includes the first two DLCs, I probably would not return at all.

Quote Originally Posted by trol View Post
    I played the beta on an oldish PC. 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA 470, AMD Phenom II x4 Deneb Black. I bought it on Xbox though because everyone I game with is on Xbox now.

My thoughts: Destiny 2 is not a sequel. It is just a continuation of Destiny 1. They recycled almost everything. I played for about a month and maxed out three characters. With really nothing else to do, I won't be playing until the first DLC releases in December. Honestly, if I hadn't bought the $100 version that includes the first two DLCs, I probably would not return at all.
    Thanks for letting me know. 60 dollars is too much to burn out on after a few weeks.

I'm having a blast, but it's like Warframe all over again. A lot of people are saying they're getting bored with it or going nutts over PvP as the RPG runs out for them. Meanwhile I've got all my characters to "max level" or 265-270, where you stop getting better gear except from a few specific places like the raid and weekly thing. This hasn't hurt my desire to play at all. I'm having a blast with the basic gameplay so collecting more 265 stuff fine with me, just like happened with Warframe.

Max Power Level is 305. Once you hit 270ish, only certain weekly rewards and Exotics can raise your level.

Quote Originally Posted by trol View Post
    Max Power Level is 305. Once you hit 270ish, only certain weekly rewards and Exotics can raise your level.
    Interestingly enough if you save enough legendary shards or w/e it is called you can just buy as many Exotics as you can each week and it will slowly raise your 'light level drop level'.

I thott about picking this up again, but I don't have enough ram on my video card to run it.

Interestingly enough if you save enough legendary shards or w/e it is called you can just buy as many Exotics as you can each week and it will slowly raise your 'light level drop level'.
    Yeah I'm seeing this effect. I thought the object was going to be to get legendary mods with +5LL in all my gear, but quests, exotic engrams and daily "powerful gear" sometimes gave me stuff 10-15 levels up plus some had legendary mods in them. This raised my average and now blues are higher than 265 for all my characters, allowing me to continue to inch upwards.