+ Reply to Thread

Default Blizzard Overwatch Controversy

So, earlier today a guy named Fuey500 who is an overwatch grand-master of the character Torbjorn (meaning he is very highly ranked with that character) received a 24 hour ban for "One Tricking". One tricking is defined as "only playing one character". The reason it is a "problem" is because Torbjorn is a character that is not very good in the meta. So a player that picks him in competitive mode is viewed as someone who is purposely throwing the game. Despite that, this guy only ever plays the character that he likes, and that he feels comfortable with. He routinely (apparently) gets threatened with violent/death, harassed, and reported for this choice of character.

A blizzard GM banned him for only playing the one character after his teammates reported him for One-Tricking.

The community is in an uproar over it, and this is blizzard's official response to the issue:

Josh Engen, Overwatch Community Manager
    I just wanted to chime in and make sure that everyone knows that we’re currently digging into the reports, investigating this ban, and thinking about how this type of situation affects specialized players and their teammates.
    We take both sides of the issue very seriously. We believe that players should be able to choose their favorite heroes, but playing as a team (which includes building an effective team composition) is a core part of the Overwatch experience. It’s a delicate balance, and we’re still working on getting it right (and probably always will be).
    If you’ve been playing Blizzard games for a while, you’ve probably heard us use the phrase “Play nice; play fair.” It’s like a mantra around the Blizzard campus, and it’s a big part of the way that we approach situations like this. People tend to focus on the “playing fair” part, but they forget about “playing nice.” Sometimes that means switching off at your teammates' request, and sometimes that means working around your teammate’s specialization.
    Either way, Overwatch is more fun when everyone is playing nice.
    Thank you for your patience as we investigate this situation, and thank you for your passion/enthusiasm about Overwatch.
    Source: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...page=5#post-93

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c...ally_bannable/
    Edit:

Oh, I should note. Fuey500 has a 58% winrate and is a top 500 player in the world. He's really fucking good with Torbjorn.
    Last edited by Zavon; 11-11-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Default Re: Blizzard Overwatch Controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    So, earlier today a guy named Fuey500 who is an overwatch grand-master of the character Torbjorn (meaning he is very highly ranked with that character) received a 24 hour ban for "One Tricking". One tricking is defined as "only playing one character". The reason it is a "problem" is because Torbjorn is a character that is not very good in the meta. So a player that picks him in competitive mode is viewed as someone who is purposely throwing the game. Despite that, this guy only ever plays the character that he likes, and that he feels comfortable with. He routinely (apparently) gets threatened with violent/death, harassed, and reported for this choice of character.

A blizzard GM banned him for only playing the one character after his teammates reported him for One-Tricking.

The community is in an uproar over it, and this is blizzard's official response to the issue:

Edit:

Oh, I should note. Fuey500 has a 58% winrate and is a top 500 player in the world. He's really fucking good with Torbjorn.
    Man I used to be ok with Blizzard (except for bringing b.net to the MMO genre and it's echoing effects) but they've really turned into some bleeding heart fuktards lately. They've made a dyke character in Tracer for Overwatch, they're also getting candy assed about enforcement. Suddenly b.net (what it still is as far as I'm concerned) is a friendly place? Every fucking resource they spend trying to ban people for chat, for "one tricking", etc should be spent on stopping cheaters instead of worrying about the candy ass feelings of all the little shits that don't have the emotional fortitude to handle the internet. To make matters worse there letting the number of reports affect the validity of the crime I've read. It's like they've literally decided to let the inmates run the prison.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Man I used to be ok with Blizzard (except for bringing b.net to the MMO genre and it's echoing effects) but they've really turned into some bleeding heart fuktards lately. They've made a dyke character in Tracer for Overwatch, they're also getting candy assed about enforcement. Suddenly b.net (what it still is as far as I'm concerned) is a friendly place? Every fucking resource they spend trying to ban people for chat, for "one tricking", etc should be spent on stopping cheaters instead of worrying about the candy ass feelings of all the little shits that don't have the emotional fortitude to handle the internet. To make matters worse there letting the number of reports affect the validity of the crime I've read. It's like they've literally decided to let the inmates run the prison.
    Well to be fair to blizzard they are CONSTANTLY banning people for cheating. The Warden system they use to scan your computer seems to work pretty well (just check out what I posted in the WoW Sticky thread, the biggest botting group has had to shut down because of blizzard's vigilence). After ban wave's its always really funny to see the salty tears.

But the dyke character and "inclusiveness" bullshit is in no doubt largely due to Jeff Kaplan imo. He talks like a total SJW, you should see his speech in the opening ceremony at blizzcon. What is interesting though is I tried to get a refund for the game when the Tracer Dyke thing came out. The GM told me they couldnt give me a refund but to be aware that the character is only represented as a lesbian in a comic book "outside the game" and that there is no indication of romantic intentions of any sort within the game.

Honestly, I feel like Overwatch is a stand alone blizzard dumpster fire. The entire community is Toxic, they are handling everything fucking stupid, and the game isn't even that great...
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Is there anything in the tos that says you can't play the same character all the time?
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    Is there anything in the tos that says you can't play the same character all the time?
    This is the core of the issue. So here's the thing: No. There isn't. In fact blizzard has even gone on record in a couple of places saying, "Playing the character you want will not get you banned."

However, in the case of Fuey500, he was banned for "Disruptive Behavior". Wherein, disruptive behavior seems to be because he picked the character Torbjorn, which all of his team mates viewed as throwing the game.

Apparently, they just released this statement, being just as vague and double speaky as before:

After investigating a number of the cases that have been surfaced over the past 24 hours, we can confirm that the system is working as intended.

None of these were simple cases of “one tricking” or off-meta hero selection. These were examples of behavior intended to disrupt Competitive Play. As such, the punishments will stand.

To be clear, specializing in certain heroes or playing off-meta heroes is not bad behavior on its own. In fact, we actively encourage people to be clever with their team comps and work with their teammates to counter the enemy comp. Teamwork is important and should be considered when making your hero selections, especially in Competitive Play.

We take these kinds of reports very seriously, along with your feedback. We’ll continue to fine-tune our systems, and we apologize for any confusion about the way that these policies have been communicated.
    The problem is that Fuey500 is a twitch streamer, and the match he was banned in was being streamed. 95% of his games are only as Torbjorn, and streamed live on Twitch. The guy has no history of being "toxic" or "disruptive". The behavior that he was banned for was refusing to switch characters.

Well to be fair to blizzard they are CONSTANTLY banning people for cheating. The Warden system they use to scan your computer seems to work pretty well (just check out what I posted in the WoW Sticky thread, the biggest botting group has had to shut down because of blizzard's vigilence). After ban wave's its always really funny to see the salty tears.

But the dyke character and "inclusiveness" bullshit is in no doubt largely due to Jeff Kaplan imo. He talks like a total SJW, you should see his speech in the opening ceremony at blizzcon. What is interesting though is I tried to get a refund for the game when the Tracer Dyke thing came out. The GM told me they couldnt give me a refund but to be aware that the character is only represented as a lesbian in a comic book "outside the game" and that there is no indication of romantic intentions of any sort within the game.

Honestly, I feel like Overwatch is a stand alone blizzard dumpster fire. The entire community is Toxic, they are handling everything fucking stupid, and the game isn't even that great...
    I dunno. I mean I think they are banning the obvious stuff but I believe people are getting around it. I also think they are only getting slaps on the wrist for cheating and are back at it in 3 days anyway. There in lies the problem in any game now days, from FPS to MMOs. The trolls get slaps on the wrist for blatant bullshit that negatively affects the game.

Take this thread for example. The original poster complained that he was unfairly banned and Jeff the cock sucker Kaplan chimed in with some stats about his account:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758687468?page=33

What Jeff said:

We checked the IP address of the account you posted from and found a suspended account.

That account has a total of 2247 complaints filed against it -- making it one of the worst offending accounts we've seen. The account has also been silenced for a total of 9216 hours. There are 3 gameplay suspensions on the account as well as 7 silences against this account (these are for abusive chat and/or spam). There is also a manual GM account suspension for "massive griefing" levied.

So I'm not sure if that's the account you're referring to or not, but someone from your IP has been a less-than-ideal OW citizen.

If that's not your account, please let us know what the BattleTag is and I'm happy to look into it further. The last thing we want is good, upstanding members of the community being punished unfairly.

I mean holy fucking shit. How many times does someone have to get reported or banned to get a perma ban? Someone did the math and this guy was literally silenced as punishment for like 384 days out of a potential 425 that Overwatch had been out at the time? Utterly fucking ridiculous. I bet the 2nd time you get reported for "homophobic" comments or some shit like that they perma ban your ass though.
    Last edited by Sillywilly; 11-12-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

That's... that's pretty impressive. They are supposedly instituting a new ban program for toxicity. They talked about it at Blizzcon. The behavior bans are seperate from the cheating bans. A cheating ban gets your account and computer banned permanently.

That's... that's pretty impressive. They are supposedly instituting a new ban program for toxicity. They talked about it at Blizzcon. The behavior bans are seperate from the cheating bans. A cheating ban gets your account and computer banned permanently.
    I think companies would be wise to just do something like what Star Citizen has planned. Flag all cheaters and hyper abusive players, then funnel them into their own server shards with players like themselves, no bans. Let Thunderdome play itself out naturally.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

That is a good idea, Marou, I like it.

In other pvp games where one chooses from a preset stable of characters, like Team Fortress (never played it but I read about it) is there any regulation about playing the same character all the time?

I still don't fully understand the problem with the character Tobjorn, it is sub-optimal in some way? Someone could throw a game to the enemy with any character, I'd think.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Good conversation but why are we having it instead of their dev team? Restrict character use with a game mechanic if it’s that big of a deal that you would auto ban...

In other pvp games where one chooses from a preset stable of characters, like Team Fortress (never played it but I read about it) is there any regulation about playing the same character all the time?

I still don't fully understand the problem with the character Tobjorn, it is sub-optimal in some way? Someone could throw a game to the enemy with any character, I'd think.
    Basically what happens in Overwatch if you haven't played it is this:

One autistic asshole that thinks he's a hero comes into the lobby. Someone picks a character that they are familiar and effective with. If that character doesn't fit into which "side of the ball" you're on (offense or defense) this aspy hero will start having a fit in the lobby chat. OR even if the character is defensive and you're on defense but it's not a member of the exact combination of heroes he thinks the team should have then he'll start bitching and whining and acting like a dick. Start accusing the person of throwing the game or being a "noob".

Then in my experience, the aspergers asshole with the "BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THE VIDEO FROM YOUTUBE SAYS YOU SHOULD PLAY ON THIS BOARD!!!!!" guy sucks, while the person picking the "wrong" character usually does really well or at least competent and I guarantee if someone did a study of over 1000 of those particular games they'd find that whether Captain Aspergers is satisfied with the group make up or not has ZERO correlation with the outcome of the game.
    Last edited by Sillywilly; 11-13-2017 at 07:31 AM.

It is a good idea. Overwatch originally had something similar that would have fixed this issue called "Avoid that player". If you didn't like playing with someone you could flag them and never be matched with them again. For whatever reason, they decided to get rid of a really elegant solution to all this.

In overwatch there are different "Comps" based on the roles: Defense, Offense, Tank, and Support. In some ways its like a traditional MMO. Torbjorn is considered an off-meta character because most people play him bad on a lot of maps, and he is a Defense character. So for instance if you are attacking, his character is really bad-- and he doesn't mesh well with the rest of the team. So what we have here is 4 people whining that a 5th person didn't pick the character they wanted him to pick. In the case of Fuey, he was supposedly "disruptive" for refusing to switch characters at the behest of his team.

Blizzard is insisting that this is a non-binary issue, but it really sort of is. It reminds me a lot of freedom of speech vs reeeedom of speech (I just made that up). Freedom of speech isn't just "You can say only things I like". Blizzard said that you could pick whatever character you like. However it appears that that rule is superceded by the desires of 4 random strangers.

There is nothing more infuriating playing Overwatch when you select a character, and then a bunch of people are like, "We need a healer, switch to a healer!". No fluck you buddy! You switch to a healer if that's what we need.

Good conversation but why are we having it instead of their dev team? Restrict character use with a game mechanic if it’s that big of a deal that you would auto ban..
    That's what I don't understand. If you don't want people to use a character then don't allow the character! This is ultimately an issue about giving in to mob mentality.

Sillywilly:
    Basically what happens in Overwatch if you haven't played it is this:

One autistic asshole that thinks he's a hero comes into the lobby. Someone picks a character that they are familiar and effective with. If that character doesn't fit into which "side of the ball" you're on (offense or defense) this aspy hero will start having a fit in the lobby chat. OR even if the character is defensive and you're on defense but it's not a member of the exact combination of heroes he thinks the team should have then he'll start bitching and whining and acting like a dick. Start accusing the person of throwing the game or being a "noob".

Then in my experience, the aspergers asshole with the "BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THE VIDEO FROM YOUTUBE SAYS YOU SHOULD PLAY ON THIS BOARD!!!!!" guy sucks, while the person picking the "wrong" character usually does really well or at least competent and I guarantee if someone did a study of over 1000 of those particular games they'd find that whether Captain Aspergers is satisfied with the group make up or not has ZERO correlation with the outcome of the game.
    That's largely been my experience as well. A couple of fags that only want to DPS telling everyone else to tank or heal them.
    Last edited by Zavon; 11-13-2017 at 10:52 AM.

There is nothing more infuriating playing Overwatch when you select a character, and then a bunch of people are like, "We need a healer, switch to a healer!". No fluck you buddy! You switch to a healer if that's what we need.

That's what I don't understand. If you don't want people to use a character then don't allow the character! This is ultimately an issue about giving in to mob mentality.

That's largely been my experience as well. A couple of fags that only want to DPS telling everyone else to tank or heal them.
    This is the entire issue boiled down. Part of why OW got stale for me, people would never take the responsibility to swap, and when I start doing it yea it tends to help win games but then why couldn't they do it if it was so necessary and they knew it. This issue really only really comes down to people trying too hard at their terrible level(crying for ::role:: and not filling it), or from people who literally only play one character. Like this guy who only picked tjorb... If I was in the same lobby as him repeatedly I would probably start getting pissed about it, tjorb really is such a one trick pony character.. Yes he can be used in other situations but once his defensive position is blown up he's weak. Plus OW really is designed to swap characters on the fly in a balanced match up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post

Yup. This was League of Legends every night.

The "Meta" is supposed to mean the best strategy to beat the most common current strategy. Somehow a few years ago this morphed into meta meaning a set of rules (sometimes a very complicated set of rules) that everyone has to play by. Companies combating "toxicity" are mostly facing the wrong way, trying to enforce rules made up by some players onto all the other players, rather than balancing or adjusting their games.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post

The "Meta" is supposed to mean the best strategy to beat the most common current strategy. Somehow a few years ago this morphed into meta meaning a set of rules (sometimes a very complicated set of rules) that everyone has to play by. Companies combating "toxicity" are mostly facing the wrong way, trying to enforce rules made up by some players onto all the other players, rather than balancing or adjusting their games.
    I wish Overwatch would get rid of character switching. Or create a league where you select a character then it randomly puts you with other players (like Heroes of the Storm Quick Play).

Yep. Developers have gotten so fucking video game politically correct (I'm not even sure wtf I mean by that) that they can't tell fascism from tree hugging. Some of the bullshit name enforcement responses I've gotten from GMs, the lack of enforcement of anything except politically charged trolling behavior, etc is off the charts. They've become so entangled in being "understanding" and tolerant that they're going all L.A. Police on random meaningless shit and then giving the red carpet to outright assholes who just want to fuck with other people. Some guy named Sheetmeyepants on the RP server who is breaking the naming convention may not get it changed because it "shouldn't affect our gameplay, just turn names off" even though it's actually against the EULA but it's perfectly ok to ban someone in Overwatch for playing a character they like which is completely within the rules.

The plot thickens:

Fuey Calls out blizzard to explain the ban publically: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c...name=Overwatch

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...e=58#post-1152

------

I just played a game on overwatch as Torbjorn. We stomped the other team, but the entire time some guy on the otherside was group talking and screaming at everyone on his team. By the end he was yelling, "FUCK THIS TEAM FUCK ALL YOU GUYS!" Then rage quit. I laughed.

This is why I love me some DotA. Heroes can usually be played in multiple roles, lanes are dynamic and Valve has never enforced any "intended way" to play.
    It's going to be a fine day tomorrow. We will have salad...

Blizzard answers Fuey:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...ge=11#post-211

Hey there, Fuey. We've been investigating a lot of reports of this nature over the past few days, and we’re currently taking another look at your 1-day suspension. We'll be reaching out to you directly via email (to your registered Battle.net address) very soon. Thanks for your patience!

In the meantime, we’re going to go ahead and lock this thread as well as other related threads. We also ask that you please refrain from creating any new posts about this particular topic and instead refer back to the email conversation in progress, since Blizzard forums aren’t where discussions about disciplinary actions should be occurring. (It’s actually against the Code of Conduct, but we understand the circumstances.)

For those who may be reading along: The intent of our reporting system, past or present, is not to punish individuals for having a “main” or by playing off-meta heroes, but instead more aggressively discourage players from doing negative things like: posting abusive messages in chat, spamming others, and purposefully failing to contribute to a match by being AFK, griefing teammates, or exhibiting poor teamwork. We want to make sure this system not only serves the needs of the game, but also the needs of its players, so we’ll continue to look into reports like these and, if needed, make improvements to ensure we’re delivering the best experience possible. That is why we’re performing a secondary deep dive into this case to ensure the accuracy of the results.
    So we are going to have to wait and see what Fuey tells the community.

I think I've realized now why I don't play mobas or games like Overwatch very much. I hate it when people don't do what I want, and they hate it when I don't do what the want. There is nothing you can do about that. That's what all this stupid shit comes down to: I have an opinion, my team mates each have an opinion: will blizzard enforce who is right?

In the old WoW battlegrounds we had to put up with asshats not fighting, I knew one player that would stand on a fence and dance all through the battle and no one banned him.

I don't think that Blizzard is going to be able to micromanage players successfully.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

In the old WoW battlegrounds we had to put up with asshats not fighting, I knew one player that would stand on a fence and dance all through the battle and no one banned him.

I don't think that Blizzard is going to be able to micromanage players successfully.

Yeah, I agree. Now days you can right click report a player for AFKing in the bg and if a enough people do it they get removed. But it's a never ending battle, because so many people are assholes and so many people play their games. I don't have a problem with someone getting banned for intentionally shitting on everyone. I just don't want someone getting banned because we had a disagreement on the best strategy. That is wholly fucking stupid.

Back in the WoW battlegrounds in classic, there use to be this one warrior that ran around naked. It was pretty funny. He sort of got infamous on our server. I grinded those fucking battlegrounds for hours. I made it to Legionnaire (I still have the title for it in current WoW). No way I can do that at this point in time of my life. Just like the classic servers, I have no idea why anyone would want that.
    Last edited by Zavon; 11-14-2017 at 11:18 AM.