+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone eyeing any cyber monday laptops?

Im asking for a friend. He wants to play a few games like Call of Duty or something on it. Doesnt have much of a budget. Just about 600 bucks. I hae no idea what is good anymore or what is available.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Default Re: Anyone eyeing any cyber monday laptops?

A good gaming laptop for 600? Yeah, not sure that is going to happen ever, even with black friday and cyber monday. You could do a desktop probably.

Edit:

When my gaming laptop died a year and a half ago, I was done with them. I had three in the span of 5 years crap out on me and they are a fucking miserable experience to even attempt to fix yourself. I've come to the belief that gaming laptops are for rich bastards that can afford to thrown down 1500 to 2k on one every 1 to 2 years.

My current desktop cost about 750, almost all parts bought during a newegg sale (well now its around 850, just upgraded to a 3TB HD) and it can run most games in high settings. For 600 or so, granted during a sale, you could get one that runs most games on med settings I'm thinking.

And if anyone is thinking about upgrading/buying a desktop, my newegg Rosewill case is amazing. Their keyboards, pieces of shit.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 11-17-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Do you like basghetti?

I knew, ever since that day, the reason you had approached me, tender and soft, that my body is to your taste. To your hunger stricken eyes, how does my body seem? If you are to eat me, do it in one blow, so that the meat does not get hard. - Menchi, The Emergency Ration

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I guess it doesn't have to run it on high or anything but 600 bucks would be pushing it for a desktop that would run games on decent (my video cards have cost that much). But a laptop? Not likely.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

I actually do think you could get a desktop that runs games decently for 600 during a good sale. When we had to switch back to desktops because laptops suck, we were able to get good machines because of bundle sales (and our parts are MSI, Corsair, EVGA, etc).

Does he have to have a laptop? He could get a refurbished one for between 900 - 1200 that could do the job. I've noticed the price on laptops have really gone up the past couple of years.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 11-18-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Do you like basghetti?

I knew, ever since that day, the reason you had approached me, tender and soft, that my body is to your taste. To your hunger stricken eyes, how does my body seem? If you are to eat me, do it in one blow, so that the meat does not get hard. - Menchi, The Emergency Ration

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    I actually do think you could get a desktop that runs games decently for 600 during a good sale. When we had to switch back to desktops because laptops suck, we were able to get good machines because of bundle sales (and our parts are MSI, Corsair, EVG, etc).

Does he have to have a laptop? He could get a refurbished one for between 900 - 1200 that could do the job. I've noticed the price on laptops have really gone up the past couple of years.
    If you want help looking we'll be skimming parts during the sales anyways (I want more ram and NEED a new keyboard). We will link whatever we see here.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    If you want help looking we'll be skimming parts during the sales anyways (I want more ram and NEED a new keyboard). We will link whatever we see here.
    That would be awesome!

$699, spotted by Aeinna, could run Call of Doody on High, should run PC exclusives on Medium. It's biggest weakness is the CPU and low amount of RAM.
    https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-...aming+computer

$699 laptop, inferior CPU/GPU but good price for what it is (a laptop). Could run Call of Doody on medium. It'll join the struggle bus if he tries to play PC exclusives on anything other than low.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834854588

A desktop could be put together right now with better components for the same price, but if he doesn't want to build something these are both pretty solid deals. The desktop is a better value cause it could be upgraded. The laptop will just be a paperweight in a couple years. It's worth noting console lifecycles stretch out the lifespan. So, if he's just doing cross platform stuff that also released to consoles it will last awhile.

Star Citizen gonna laugh at these machines but if they just wanna play peasant games from Ubisoft/Activision that have console ports it'll get the job done, unless the port is lazy/unoptimized (like GTA V, Dark Souls, etc).
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Thanks everyone! I've forwarded these links to my friend.

"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Silly, this machine is vastly better than the others listed and is $50 more. It has far more upgrade potential because it has a socket AM4 motherboard and supports DDR4 RAM. It is also put together with name brand parts instead of god only knows what brand chinese OEM parts.

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Gamin...5W327J56P&th=1