+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Computer Shit

We are upgrading all our computer parts right now. We got new motherboards, cpus, ram and closed loop coolers.

Unless the closed loop cooler explodes, I think we will never go back to air cooling again. Idle I am running at 25 C with it and before with air I was at 50 C. I am also mildly overclocked.

Next up is the Hybrid EVGA nvidia cards, so that too can be water cooled. My case actually has the side on it, its just tempered glass, so it looks like nothing is there in the photo.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Default Re: New Computer Shit

I was offering parts to Zavon for upgrade if he wanted any of our old parts, but he was like, "I totally don't do that sort of stuff, Ermegerd! I could chip a nail!". The replaced parts are AMD FX-8350 8Core 4.1Ghz (stock cooler) with a good motherboard and 2xDDR3 2133.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

How much were you planning to sell those for Marou?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    How much were you planning to sell those for Marou?
    Wasn't planning to sell anything, more give away. Why, any of those parts helpful to you?
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    Wasn't planning to sell anything, more give away. Why, any of those parts helpful to you?
    Yeah definitely. I've got an 8 year old or so gaming PC I built sitting around collecting dust because the mother board took a dump on me. It was the first gaming PC I built and has a fairly new PSU in it. Been thinking about trying to rebuild it for my son but didn't want to drop the Yen on a new motherboard only to have to replace the ram and the processor simply because the old motherboard went out.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Yeah definitely. I've got an 8 year old or so gaming PC I built sitting around collecting dust because the mother board took a dump on me. It was the first gaming PC I built and has a fairly new PSU in it. Been thinking about trying to rebuild it for my son but didn't want to drop the Yen on a new motherboard only to have to replace the ram and the processor simply because the old motherboard went out.
    Aeinna hasn't decided whether or not she's gonna send the parts to her dad yet for his compy. If she doesn't they are all yours for the low low price of shipping.

Aeinna hasn't decided whether or not she's gonna send the parts to her dad yet for his compy. If she doesn't they are all yours for the low low price of shipping.
    Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!
    PM me your shipping info. Motherboard --> CPU --> RAM can be sent.

PM me your shipping info. Motherboard --> CPU --> RAM can be sent.
    Sending now!

So, having just received most of the rest of our computer shit, I am ready to say that this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-040-_-Product

Is the best fucking thing I've ever bought. Period. It's amazing. It also weighs a ton since it's mechanical, and you could bludgeon the fuck out of someone with it in a pinch... Cause you have to pay attention to those important details. I always skimped on keyboards, not this time, and you get what you pay for. I've had it for over a week now and my happiness with it continues to grow.

My fan crapped out, I haven't been able to use my computer for a few days until a replacement part came in. It started when my computer started smelling like it was burning, shutting down, and making this insane racket. Scared the shit out of me, cuz I dont have the money to replace my computer. Fortunately, I was able to diagnosis the problem (I'm not a tech person at all). In other news, I learned how to replace a CPU fan.
    Last edited by Zavon; 12-15-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    My fan crapped out, I haven't been able to use my computer for a few days until a replacement part came in. It started when my computer started smelling like it was burning, shutting down, and making this insane racket. Scared the shit out of me, cuz I dont have the money to replace my computer. Fortunately, I was able to diagnosis the problem (I'm not a tech person at all). In other news, I learned how to replace a CPU fan.
    Nigga, if you can replace a CPU Heatsink/Fan you can put a computer together. It's not rocket surgery.

Nigga, if you can replace a CPU Heatsink/Fan you can put a computer together. It's not rocket surgery.
    Cereal, the only hard part is connecting the two ridiculously tiny motherboard cables, cpu cooler and cable management (cause shit can turn into a knotted mess quick).

I agree with the keyboard, I got the RGB version, cause... pretty and it is a whole new experience to use a high quality keyboard. Corsair just makes really good products. Interestingly, EVGA seems to be turning into Corsair, they are making cases, mice and coolers now.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    Cereal, the only hard part is connecting the two ridiculously tiny motherboard cables, cpu cooler and cable management (cause shit can turn into a knotted mess quick).

I agree with the keyboard, I got the RGB version, cause... pretty and it is a whole new experience to use a high quality keyboard. Corsair just makes really good products. Interestingly, EVGA seems to be turning into Corsair, they are making cases, mice and coolers now.
    Can you actually customize the rgb colors for each key? This is what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    Can you actually customize the rgb colors for each key? This is what I want.
    Yes you can! You have to use their CUE software (Corsair utility Engine, already had it cause of mouse) but the stuff you can do is pretty cool. I have my WASD and num pad keys a really pale orangey-yellow color, the number keys are a medium orange and the rest are a light grey-blue. They are static color, cause while the different lighting effects look cool at first, seeing them a couple of times, it is too much. You can turn your keyboard into a strobing disco ball.

Sold. Yea I would really just want certain keys lit and the rest off or as dim as possible.

Word of... caution I guess, CUE isn't overly intuitive, at least Marou and I didn't think so. Setting up the different effects and button functions you can do with their products can be frustrating at first. I do not know if other mech rgb keyboard's from other companies have better software for it. G.Skill makes one that looks interesting but since I'm already tied to CUE, I went Corsair.

From reviews though, most of these companies have bad software. I will say Corsair Link is pretty awesome, especially if you get all their rgb products.

G.Skill Keyboard
    Last edited by Aeinna; 12-16-2017 at 03:14 PM.

I has a problem, that when I go to buy a new anything I take days researching to make sure I am buying the right products. It becomes obsessive and it can literally be all I do until I have found exactly what I am looking for. The upside to this is I often find gems that are not well known.

While this is new and I mean new, these just came out December 11th with Dolby Atmos, which I have not seen in any headset or in this price range. Fully Modular, good price, 24 hour battery life. We shall see if they are worth while, considering I do believe I am in the first handful of people to obtain these.

If anyone is interested, I will keep updated on how good these are.

Plantronics Rig 800HD wireless headset

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    I has a problem, that when I go to buy a new anything I take days researching to make sure I am buying the right products. It becomes obsessive and it can literally be all I do until I have found exactly what I am looking for. The upside to this is I often find gems that are not well known.

While this is new and I mean new, these just came out December 11th with Dolby Atmos, which I have not seen in any headset or in this price range. Fully Modular, good price, 24 hour battery life. We shall see if they are worth while, considering I do believe I am in the first handful of people to obtain these.

If anyone is interested, I will keep updated on how good these are.

Plantronics Rig 800HD wireless headset
    I would have probably got these instead of what I got if they hadn't been out less than 48 hours when I ordered my wireless headset.

You're obligated to let me know how that build works out Silly, and whether the parts survived shipping intact.

You're obligated to let me know how that build works out Silly, and whether the parts survived shipping intact.
    Stuff came in! Looks like one ram stick didn't make it. I tried both sticks in my current system and it would say 16 gb (7.96 usable). So I tried one stick in the #1 slot and it would say 8 gigs and then I tried the other stick by itself and the computer wouldn't start up. It would power on but would never load anything. So I'm assuming it means that stick died? I haven't tried to power it up yet in the old case my son is getting, I've installed the motherboard and hard drive and got some of the other stuff installed, just haven't gotten all the wires to the MB connected yet. Gonna pull up a schematic for the MB to install all the little power button/usb/etc type connections and see if it'll post. If that will kick then all I need to do is get him a video card and he'll be balling with a better system than me lol. (Thanks again you guys, he'll flip out if it all comes together!)

Stuff came in! Looks like one ram stick didn't make it. I tried both sticks in my current system and it would say 16 gb (7.96 usable). So I tried one stick in the #1 slot and it would say 8 gigs and then I tried the other stick by itself and the computer wouldn't start up. It would power on but would never load anything. So I'm assuming it means that stick died? I haven't tried to power it up yet in the old case my son is getting, I've installed the motherboard and hard drive and got some of the other stuff installed, just haven't gotten all the wires to the MB connected yet. Gonna pull up a schematic for the MB to install all the little power button/usb/etc type connections and see if it'll post. If that will kick then all I need to do is get him a video card and he'll be balling with a better system than me lol. (Thanks again you guys, he'll flip out if it all comes together!)
    They both worked in that board. Could be your board has compatibility issues with that ram and needs a bios/firmware update. I'd be surprised if RAM that worked died in shipping, it's pretty much the most durable part in there. RAM should be in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 to operate in dual channel. It has a little diagram on the mobo showing how it pairs.

They both worked in that board. Could be your board has compatibility issues with that ram and needs a bios/firmware update. I'd be surprised if RAM that worked died in shipping, it's pretty much the most durable part in there. RAM should be in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 to operate in dual channel. It has a little diagram on the mobo showing how it pairs.
    I'll double check it and see. That's what I figured, that ram would be the last thing to go but I've been wrong before lol. I'll see how it works out when I get the other PC powered up.

Hmmm so after what you said I decided to fool around with it in my system some more to see if I could figure out the problem. I downloaded cpu-z also just to collect some more info.

When putting your old ram into my PC it says 16 gigs installed, 7.96 usable. I enabled an xfm memory profile 1 or something on my motherboard that a tutorial said was potentially an issue but it didn't help.

So I used cupid cpu-z and it says your old ram is 16 gigs running in single channel mode. Using my ram I use in my system originally it correctly says dual channel mode. I checked my motherboard bios and it says something to the effect that my memory is operating in 8 gig mode or something? I can't remember exactly what it said but it showed the correct frequency for your old ram. I'll have to check and see what it says about my ram (if it says 8 gig or 4 gig). I've looked into the max memory option/etc under windows and all of that stuff is unchecked which is what the online help I researched suggested.

Any ideas what the problem might be? My bios was updated in 2014, that's the latest non beta version available.

Also of note I tried the ram in slots 1 and 3 (where my motherboard says to put it first) and 2 and 4 just to see if it made any different and it didn't. cpu-z still said it was 16 gigs in single channel mode and windows still said only 7.96 was usable. I had to double check because I was at a loss and it's Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit.

Hmmm so after what you said I decided to fool around with it in my system some more to see if I could figure out the problem. I downloaded cpu-z also just to collect some more info.

When putting your old ram into my PC it says 16 gigs installed, 7.96 usable. I enabled an xfm memory profile 1 or something on my motherboard that a tutorial said was potentially an issue but it didn't help.

So I used cupid cpu-z and it says your old ram is 16 gigs running in single channel mode. Using my ram I use in my system originally it correctly says dual channel mode. I checked my motherboard bios and it says something to the effect that my memory is operating in 8 gig mode or something? I can't remember exactly what it said but it showed the correct frequency for your old ram. I'll have to check and see what it says about my ram (if it says 8 gig or 4 gig). I've looked into the max memory option/etc under windows and all of that stuff is unchecked which is what the online help I researched suggested.

Any ideas what the problem might be? My bios was updated in 2014, that's the latest non beta version available.

Also of note I tried the ram in slots 1 and 3 (where my motherboard says to put it first) and 2 and 4 just to see if it made any different and it didn't. cpu-z still said it was 16 gigs in single channel mode and windows still said only 7.96 was usable. I had to double check because I was at a loss and it's Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit.
    Probably haveto go configure it in the bios manually if it didn't autodetect.

Timings

8GB
    Type
    240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
    Speed
    DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    CAS Latency
    Timing
    9-9-9