+ Reply to Thread

Default SciFi franchises and social justice suicide

The audience for space centric Sci-Fi is and has always been white and asian males. Watching diversity quota star wars and star trek movies fall flat on their face is fun. I wonder at what failure analysis stage companies realize that this genre doesn't, can't, and won't ever appeal to "people of color" or women in any significant numbers, no matter what is done to it.

The types of stories that are most suitable for space based Sci-Fi (war, exploration, colonialism), are just not things that appeal to these groups of people. Space could be used as a backdrop in a movie that appeals to those people, however, at that point why waste the massive budget on something that doesn't impact significantly the story being told?
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Default Re: SciFi franchises and social justice suicide

The way to 'include' 'everyone' is to create a race of aliens that is literally 'anything'.

For example.. my go to SciFi example is Dan Simmons Hyperion (Quadrilogy? Cantos? Idk, 4 books of two pairings) has a race of people who are diametrically opposed to the 'vanilla' humans called the Ousters. This was a sect of humans who long ago (hundreds of years) decided that instead of colonizing planets and solar systems they would colonize 'deep space' or the space between the stars. They ended up embracing eugenics and free adaptations to the human body that 'vanilla humans' in the series call barbaric, uncivilized, and 'immoral'(messing with 'gods' creation... the church plays a big role and second half of series). At the same time these 'variations' of humanity are all purpose adapted, its not a race of wealthy lord-like fashion mutants controlling races of peasant worker adapted mutants, its a free society built for a purpose and synergy between the 'species'.

But yes, trying to force 'powerful women' and PoC in SCIFI is retarded... Any sci-fi worth its weight generally does not talk about race and usually has the US, Russia, or China as the worldly powers that be, or some 'allusion' to these powers.

"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    The audience for space centric Sci-Fi is and has always been white and asian males. Watching diversity quota star wars and star trek movies fall flat on their face is fun. I wonder at what failure analysis stage companies realize that this genre doesn't, can't, and won't ever appeal to "people of color" or women in any significant numbers, no matter what is done to it.

The types of stories that are most suitable for space based Sci-Fi (war, exploration, colonialism), are just not things that appeal to these groups of people. Space could be used as a backdrop in a movie that appeals to those people, however, at that point why waste the massive budget on something that doesn't impact significantly the story being told?
    I feel like the truth here is that the same group of people that love sci-fi fantasy are also the same crowd as PC gamers. This is why we have gamer gate and KiA-- basically a large group of people that are sick of leftist infecting their bullshit into their favorite entertainment mediums.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon