+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Default Re: Stop Being Dead, Catacombs

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Thoughts on the mental disorder that is Antisemitism?

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...l_disease.html
    Agitprop.

"The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Wow, legitimately surprising.

Anthony Bourdain Found Dead After Commiting Suicide By Hanging
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...uicide-hanging
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    Wow, legitimately surprising.

Anthony Bourdain Found Dead After Commiting Suicide By Hanging
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...uicide-hanging
    Kinda wonder if they are labeling it a suicide when it might have been an erotic asphyxiation thing. Memory tells me there were a couple of celebs to die under weird hanging/sexual circumstances in the past decade or so.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    Kinda wonder if they are labeling it a suicide when it might have been an erotic asphyxiation thing. Memory tells me there were a couple of celebs to die under weird hanging/sexual circumstances in the past decade or so.
    Carradine in a fucking bangcock hotel.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I'm not that familiar with the dude. I know that idiot Joe Rogan likes talking about him though (from the occasional Podcast I've listened to). Did anyone here like him/watch him?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

oops
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

I'm not that familiar with the dude. I know that idiot Joe Rogan likes talking about him though (from the occasional Podcast I've listened to). Did anyone here like him/watch him?
    I just started watching Joe Rogan at work. YouTube threw him at me because he interviewed a bunch of people, including Peterson. I like him as an interviewer because he goes all-in. Some guy was talking about how wild Mushrooms are intelligent and thinking, conflating exchanging information in the chemistry sense for literally storing and forming ideas, and Joe just goes "Wooooowwww" like he always does lol. It works because the people go all-in in return and you see what they really think, not just their public surface.

You don't like him? Why?
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    I just started watching Joe Rogan at work. YouTube threw him at me because he interviewed a bunch of people, including Peterson. I like him as an interviewer because he goes all-in. Some guy was talking about how wild Mushrooms are intelligent and thinking, conflating exchanging information in the chemistry sense for literally storing and forming ideas, and Joe just goes "Wooooowwww" like he always does lol. It works because the people go all-in in return and you see what they really think, not just their public surface.

You don't like him? Why?
    I do and I don't. It isn't clear cut. Sometimes when he gets to an argument he has a strong opinion on, he goes on rants and doesn't discuss shit rationally. Like the Steven Crowder weed argument, he lost his shit and had to issue a public apology. He does that sometimes, and it turns me off him.

I do and I don't. It isn't clear cut. Sometimes when he gets to an argument he has a strong opinion on, he goes on rants and doesn't discuss shit rationally. Like the Steven Crowder weed argument, he lost his shit and had to issue a public apology. He does that sometimes, and it turns me off him.
    He's an intellectual for stupid people. If you have over a certain IQ he's damn irritating. He's the very definition of pseudo intellectual. He also has no ideologically consistent positions. He flops all over the place depending on who his guest his.

In other news, EU gonna try and ban Memes.

Memes 'will be banned' under new EU copyright law, warn campaigners
    https://news.sky.com/story/memes-wil...gners-11398577

He's an intellectual for stupid people. If you have over a certain IQ he's damn irritating. He's the very definition of pseudo intellectual. He also has no ideologically consistent positions. He flops all over the place depending on who his guest his.

In other news, EU gonna try and ban Memes.

Memes 'will be banned' under new EU copyright law, warn campaigners
    https://news.sky.com/story/memes-wil...gners-11398577
    Oh, this is going to be good. I need to get some popcorn. I'm thankful for this kind of bullshit, because its going to help push nationalism, better than just about anything I can think of.

He's an intellectual for stupid people. If you have over a certain IQ he's damn irritating. He's the very definition of pseudo intellectual.
    In three weekends of browsing youtube I've never seen him talk about his own positions except about how he hates Carlos Mencia.

He also has no ideologically consistent positions. He flops all over the place depending on who his guest his.
    But that makes him a great interviewer... when I want to learn what the guest thinks I don't want some talking head interrupting them, I want Joe going WWOOOOWWWWWW and letting them talk.

But that makes him a great interviewer... when I want to learn what the guest thinks I don't want some talking head interrupting them, I want Joe going WWOOOOWWWWWW and letting them talk.

No, I agree, he is a pretty good interviewer. He's just also kind of retarded. Too many drugs probably.

In three weekends of browsing youtube I've never seen him talk about his own positions except about how he hates Carlos Mencia.

The problem I have with Joe Rogan, is I don't think he is always a great interviewer. I think he can often ask stupid questions and not get to the meat of what should really be discussed.

He interviewed the fucking father of the leader of Scientology and did what VK said he does... WOOOOW. It wasn't enough, he let the guy ramble and a good interviewer will lead their guest with questions, to get better information. It wasn't horrible to listen too but it could have been much better.

He did the same thing with Shawn Baker, the carnivore diet guy who is getting a lot of attention right now. But veggies? What about veggies? Poop? No fiber? But veggies? You were in the army? Lets talk about that for an hour!

The whole point of Shawn Baker being on was because he eats only meat.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Rant:

I've been doing a lot of reading and youtube watching on weight lifting/training. During this, I have come across too many to count videos geared at women to gain muscle (not purposefully looking for ones aimed at women), while the instructor is waving around at max 5 pound dumbbells.

What.the.fuck?

My purse is heavier than that. A bag of groceries is. I've seen videos of a child running around in the back ground while they wave around their do nothing weights, talking about getting muscles (cause you know, that is harder than lifting your fucking kid). I saw a video of someone doing barbell squats with no plates on it. Maybe I have missed something here doing my research, but you aren't gaining shit unless you are lifting at least challenging weights. And to who, is 5 fucking pounds a challenge?

What woman buys into this load of crap, that they are going to get toned, lean muscle with no effort?

/Rant

Rant:

I've been doing a lot of reading and youtube watching on weight lifting/training. During this, I have come across too many to count videos geared at women to gain muscle (not purposefully looking for ones aimed at women), while the instructor is waving around at max 5 pound dumbbells.

What.the.fuck?

My purse is heavier than that. A bag of groceries is. I've seen videos of a child running around in the back ground while they wave around their do nothing weights, talking about getting muscles (cause you know, that is harder than lifting your fucking kid). I saw a video of someone doing barbell squats with no plates on it. Maybe I have missed something here doing my research, but you aren't gaining shit unless you are lifting at least challenging weights. And to who, is 5 fucking pounds a challenge?

What woman buys into this load of crap, that they are going to get toned, lean muscle with no effort?

/Rant
    You can get a lot out of low weight workout, especially if you are doing it in tandem with body weight exercises. Obviously, no effort at all will yield no results, but low weights done til exhaustion have yielded the same muscle gains as doing the standard 3 sets of 10. If you wanted to be a competitive heavy weight lifter, lifting seriously heavy shit, that wouldn't fly. But if you are only looking to get in shape, low weights are often more economical and nearly as good as heavy weights.
    https://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...light-weights/

As to the girl squatting with an empty barbell: That is really good exercise. I know it looks deceptive, but a regular barbell usually weighs about 40 pounds iirc (too lazy to look it up), so that combined with her body weight can be a serious challenge.

If you want to see some examples of really good low weight workouts that will get you ripped and in shape as shit, check out this video from GSP. The entire workout never goes above 20 pounds, and its even a challenge for people that are career athletes. IIRC he never goes higher than a 15 pounder in this vid:

On a personal level, I used to be seriously in to weight lifting, and have had to whip myself into shape on two separate occasions. I've tried military style crossfit body weight workouts, heavy mass gain weight routines, normal hypertrophy weight lifting, and low weight til exhaustion style workouts (like in the video above). All have worked, but low weight workouts have always yielded the quickest results for fat loss (for me).

I already get that low weights mixed with heavy on changing days is great for growth but weights so low your purse weighs more? This is workouts aimed at women.

Think frou-frou blonde instructor who is in shape but has very little muscle definition, telling their female audience to pick up 2 pound dumbbells, TO GAIN LEAN MUSCLE. People who do yoga, as their choice of exercise for years, have that toned lean look. Because as you pointed out, calisthenics is amazing at building that type of muscle.

These videos are saying lift weights to loose weight and get muscle! It is nothing but aerobics. Which is great for losing fat if that is the goal but I think they are very misleading. And I am not talking about HITT.

From my research women who do actual weight lifting, get lean muscle. It is very hard for women to get bulky naturally, even if they power lift. Women can and should do the same exercises as men and not be afraid because they wont look like body builders.

My rant is because it is already harder for woman to put on muscle and they will almost always be using lighter weights than men. If you actually want definition, pick up 15 pounds, 2 isn't gonna do much of fucking anything. Unless you want to stand there for an hour doing nothing but curls, maybe it would work.

Maybe I am just being unfair but it takes hard work to get the type of body I'm referring too and Jane Fonda type shit isn't going to get it for you, unless you want to look like Jane Fonda.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 06-10-2018 at 12:35 AM.

low weights done til exhaustion have yielded the same muscle gains as doing the standard 3 sets of 10.
    Doing the heaviest weight you can handle 3-4 sets of 3-8 reps will yield far more strength gain, doing a light weight a gazillion times will only add definition and endurance. Mixed with Calisthenics (body weight training), yeah - light weights could be fine cause they are just a bonus to the body weight you're already slinging around. Aeinna was specifically referring to encountering crap like this looking for weight training videos. This is aerobics, fine for burning fat - sure; will not build strength ever.

Yeah, work on those *guns* lady...

First off I can tell that neither of you read the article I posted. Here is an easier less cancerous version straight from the source. I encourage you to read it, rather than continue to hold the beliefs that you have: https://www.mcmaster.ca/opr/html/opr...rchersfind.htm

Second, let me be clear here. I am not referring to mixing in low weights with your regular heavy weight workout to break a lift plateau. I am talking about working only with low weights until exhaustion. The original assertion was that " I have come across too many to count videos geared at women to gain muscle (not purposefully looking for ones aimed at women), while the instructor is waving around at max 5 pound dumbbells. ." Aeinna said that and then wondered what she was missing. I am point blank telling you what you missed: You can do a low weight workout, with or without HIIT, and still gain muscle and strength.

That being said, I am not trying to win an internet argument here, I am trying to be helpful. I did not say it would be better for strength gains then a heavier weight workout. That is shifting the goal post to an entirely different conversation. I am saying that a 5 pound workout for a woman can still be incredibly beneficial for muscle training, not that it is the most beneficial thing ever. Both have advantages and disadvantages (low weights are cheaper, less cause for injury, make it easier to teach the motions for transitioning to heavier weights, etc.), and a workout that is continued should be the one that is best suited for you and your circumstances. If you write it off with hubris, you may be missing out on something that might really enjoy!

Finally, I have a question: Did either of you try to the workout of the woman that Marou posted or did you both just scoff at it? She wears down the same muscle groups and auxiliary groups through high repetitions and slow extended motions, then tops it off with body weight exercises a the end. That is not aerobic. I challenge you to both do that workout in its entirety, then tell me how your arms feel.

Last time I looked into weight lifting I found the same thing as Zavon said.

All the stuff about low weight and high reps vs high reps and low weight was bunk and made no difference at all in the largest and best controlled studies. The difference came from fatigue level. If you're fatiguing your muscles to the point of total exhausution/failure and letting them rest properly then you're going to get the high strength gains associated with high weight and low reps. If you're not doing either part of that you get bulk. Low weight high reps just naturally tends to get people closer to, or more reliably all the way to, exhaustion. It also takes less time so people stick to it.

I was so frustrated that so much advice on all levels was total bunk that I ended up just going to BodyBuildingDOTcom and reading people's logs and comparing to their results to see if anything made sense. There's no correlation. First it was obvious most people are using the terms way too subjectively, so immediately there's a very, VERY strong confirmation bias at work where any meat head who lifts a middling amount of weight a mididling number of times and gets bulky or lean blames his subjective impression of whatever midddling amount of weight/reps vs his strength level to make it match the expectation.

I remember reading a post by someone on here who once talked about training people (Not Taoist... Grim something?) and swore by the weight/reps stuff. I took it at face value at the time but later after reading more I came back and it seemed like the same thing. He wrote in the rest of the exhaustion formula with all his examples without realizing it. Like one high weight low rep guy who got super strong was a short gymast who could lift way more than bulked up people... but then he also mentioned the gymnast's routines flipping around on two rings like a crazy person for long periods of time implying high fatigue for his whole upper body and core.

Disclaimers:
    Submitted humbly as a fat nerd who reads stuff online because he's bored.
    Submitted without implication that I am now a body builder or gymnast.
    Submitted knowing that new information may be available.

Last time I looked into weight lifting I found the same thing as Zavon said.

All the stuff about low weight and high reps vs high reps and low weight was bunk and made no difference at all in the largest and best controlled studies. The difference came from fatigue level. If you're fatiguing your muscles to the point of total exhausution/failure and letting them rest properly then you're going to get the high strength gains associated with high weight and low reps. If you're not doing either part of that you get bulk. Low weight high reps just naturally tends to get people closer to, or more reliably all the way to, exhaustion. It also takes less time so people stick to it.

I was so frustrated that so much advice on all levels was total bunk that I ended up just going to BodyBuildingDOTcom and reading people's logs and comparing to their results to see if anything made sense. There's no correlation. First it was obvious most people are using the terms way too subjectively, so immediately there's a very, VERY strong confirmation bias at work where any meat head who lifts a middling amount of weight a mididling number of times and gets bulky or lean blames his subjective impression of whatever midddling amount of weight/reps vs his strength level to make it match the expectation.

I remember reading a post by someone on here who once talked about training people (Not Taoist... Grim something?) and swore by the weight/reps stuff. I took it at face value at the time but later after reading more I came back and it seemed like the same thing. He wrote in the rest of the exhaustion formula with all his examples without realizing it. Like one high weight low rep guy who got super strong was a short gymast who could lift way more than bulked up people... but then he also mentioned the gymnast's routines flipping around on two rings like a crazy person for long periods of time implying high fatigue for his whole upper body and core.

Disclaimers:
    Submitted humbly as a fat nerd who reads stuff online because he's bored.
    Submitted without implication that I am now a body builder or gymnast.
    Submitted knowing that new information may be available.
    Exactly, it always comes down to how much effort you put into a workout. Humans are designed really neat that way, we gain benefit from whatever you want to do as long as you put in the work. Gymnastic and body weight stuff can get you scary strong. It won't let you compete as an Olympic level weight lifter, but I highly doubt M and Aeinna want to be professional body builders anyways. Those low weight women workouts are deceptively fucking hard. I remember I did a pilate low weight hybrid workout one time, as a joke (because my ex-wife bought the DVD). I was in really good shape at the time, and thought well, that was stupid (about halfway through at the first break). I got up off the floor, then my entire back and abdominal wall just fucking failed and I folded into myself like a lawn chair. It was a very humbling experience.

The enemy here is hubris. That woman in that video is in great shape; there is a reason she looks like she does.
    Last edited by Zavon; 06-10-2018 at 06:14 AM.

I think we are on different wave lengths here. I first want to say I never said she was in bad shape or implied it. She is indeed in great shape. Maybe I didn't say what I meant correctly or I said it badly. Her video is great for getting into her type of shape. I was specifically looking for building strength and muscle. I want to be able to use our compound bow. Her video is not going to get me there and her intro I still feel is misleading.

I've done workouts like that, shit I used to do Billy Bo workouts and those are crazy. I'm not looking for endurance or even calisthenics right now. I want strength first and then some muscle definition. I'm writing it off because it is not what I am looking for. I did read the article and all I can say is that VK is right there is so much conflicting information out there, its stupid. I can point to physical therapists that say heavy one day, light the next, push yourself etc etc. Hell most people say only train three days a week and then there are ones who say fuck that noise, go 6 to 7 days a week and work whatever muscles you want while pointing at athlete training programs that do very similar things to that.

I don't want to be a body builder but if I want the type of psyche I have in my head, which I may not even be able to get, videos like that one I mentioned are not enough. And when she flexes barely there muscles, calls them guns, I'm like, wot m8? Yet again, nothing wrong with her body, it is not what I want though. I guess in a way I am crapping on her video but for reasons different than what you are saying. I saw it as saying look at my strength and toned arms, while in my head, I see this instead:

Two very different body types, both in great shape but geared toward different things.

I think we are on different wave lengths here. I first want to say I never said she was in bad shape or implied it. She is indeed in great shape. Maybe I didn't say what I meant correctly or I said it badly. Her video is great for getting into her type of shape. I was specifically looking for building strength and muscle. I want to be able to use our compound bow. Her video is not going to get me there and her intro I still feel is misleading.

I've done workouts like that, shit I used to do Billy Bo workouts and those are crazy. I'm not looking for endurance or even calisthenics right now. I want strength first and then some muscle definition. I'm writing it off because it is not what I am looking for. I did read the article and all I can say is that VK is right there is so much conflicting information out there, its stupid. I can point to physical therapists that say heavy one day, light the next, push yourself etc etc. Hell most people say only train three days a week and then there are ones who say fuck that noise, go 6 to 7 days a week and work whatever muscles you want while pointing at athlete training programs that do very similar things to that.

I don't want to be a body builder but if I want the type of psyche I have in my head, which I may not even be able to get, videos like that one I mentioned are not enough. And when she flexes barely there muscles, calls them guns, I'm like, wot m8? Yet again, nothing wrong with her body, it is not what I want though. I guess in a way I am crapping on her video but for reasons different than what you are saying. I saw it as saying look at my strength and toned arms, while in my head, I see this instead:

Two very different body types, both in great shape but geared toward different things.
    Alright maybe we are. Let me reiterate one last time though, just in case: If you do the workout of the woman in the video you WILL GAIN strength and you WILL GAIN muscle. She is not an idiot, and that is a strength gaining routine. It is not cardio. It will make your arms stronger and bigger. I know it seems counter-intuitive. You will see muscular improvement if you do her 5 pound workout routine.
    Last edited by Zavon; 06-10-2018 at 07:26 AM.

I am of the opinion that you only need to strain the muscles to build them, but after you've reached a size just using them will increase definition and tone, as well as actual strength of the muscle. However, at a certain age (40+) the body has a very difficult time generating new muscle mass, as well as joints and tendons to support the 'shock' or 'strain' to generate such mass, especially if the individual was not particularly fit to begin with. I am not saying it's a huge decline but it certainly exists, why I always remember being told its easier to stay close to in-shape than let yourself go off the deep end.

Again these are just my observations as a super casul exerciser who mainly does cardio in his free time but lifts 20-100lb boxes/objects regularly for work 4-8 hrs a day.

Alright maybe we are. Let me reiterate one last time though, just in case: If you do the workout of the woman in the video you WILL GAIN strength and you WILL GAIN muscle. She is not an idiot, and that is a strength gaining routine. It is not cardio. It will make your arms stronger and bigger. I know it seems counter-intuitive. You will see muscular improvement if you do her 5 pound workout routine.
    Dude, I never said she was an idiot. I said I felt like it was misleading because being in shape and able to do her videos is different than building strength/muscle. Which is where I think our opinions differ because we've both read conflicting sides of the argument.

I wont deny I'm being a bit snippity when I said frou-frou with 5 pound dumbbells. Cause to me it is and it is to a lot of people that I can tell. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you are and maybe its all fucking genetics and it takes some people heavy damn weights pushing their limits, while it takes others the weight of full grocery bag.

I find it disappointing that many of the videos geared at women are these, instead of what I was looking for. Maybe it is simply most women do not want to get into the type of body/strength I want.

You seem to think I am aiming my rant at HER and her body, implying she was out of shape, while I was aiming it at the video and calling what she has guns, just not "guns".

Like I said, I've done shit like that before. So I'll say, from MY opinion, having done both workouts like that and currently doing weight lifting, I not only prefer weight lifting, I feel it works my body better.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 06-10-2018 at 08:11 AM.