+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LitRPG

Default LitRPG

Alright, so recently I've come into a very fun genre of literature called "LitRPG". It is kind of hard to explain, but the gist of it is a character is transported into a situation and/or world wherein (be it fantasy or sci-fi) things like character stats are important to the story. As weird as fuck as that sounds, and believe me it is often very strange, the good news is that I've read some AMAZING fucking books in this weird genre.

If you have a kindle unlimited subscription (which is way fucking worth it, if you are a reader you should have one), then I can recommend some seriously good books in this genre.

--------------------------------------------------------

This is one of my favorites, and I HIGHLY recommend it, especially if you like devious or dark characters (the main character sort of reminds me of Marou for some weird reason).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eries_rw_dp_sw

Jason logs into Awaken Online fed-up with reality. He’s in desperate need of an escape, and this game is his ticket to finally feeling the type of power and freedom that are so sorely lacking in his real life.

Awaken Online is a brand new virtual reality game that just hit the market, promising an unprecedented level of immersion. Yet Jason quickly finds himself pushed down a path he didn’t expect. In this game, he isn’t the hero. There are no damsels to save. There are no bad guys to vanquish.

In fact, he might just be the villain.

Another way to describe it is: A guy that has enough shit in his life decides to psychologically scar a bunch of people.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another favorite book is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Space-Knight-...s=Space+Knight

In a universe where technology and magic co-exist, Nicholas Lyons desires one thing: to serve his queen as a Space Knight in the Royal Trident Forces. But when his final mission as an Academy cadet goes horribly wrong, Nicholas discovers he possesses illegal magical abilities that grant him power far beyond that of a normal man, knight, or mage.

When a clandestine assignment lands Nicholas on the worst starship in the kingdom’s fleet, he finds a motley crew of warriors hiding their own terrible secret. Death and betrayal lurk around every corner, and Nicholas finds himself torn between his loyalties to his new crew, or the oath he swore to his queen.

And death no matter which choice he makes.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

Default Re: LitRPG

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Alright, so recently I've come into a very fun genre of literature called "LitRPG". It is kind of hard to explain, but the gist of it is a character is transported into a situation and/or world wherein (be it fantasy or sci-fi) things like character stats are important to the story. As weird as fuck as that sounds, and believe me it is often very strange, the good news is that I've read some AMAZING fucking books in this weird genre.

If you have a kindle unlimited subscription (which is way fucking worth it, if you are a reader you should have one), then I can recommend some seriously good books in this genre.

--------------------------------------------------------

This is one of my favorites, and I HIGHLY recommend it, especially if you like devious or dark characters (the main character sort of reminds me of Marou for some weird reason).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eries_rw_dp_sw

Jason logs into Awaken Online fed-up with reality. He’s in desperate need of an escape, and this game is his ticket to finally feeling the type of power and freedom that are so sorely lacking in his real life.

Awaken Online is a brand new virtual reality game that just hit the market, promising an unprecedented level of immersion. Yet Jason quickly finds himself pushed down a path he didn’t expect. In this game, he isn’t the hero. There are no damsels to save. There are no bad guys to vanquish.

In fact, he might just be the villain.

Another way to describe it is: A guy that has enough shit in his life decides to psychologically scar a bunch of people.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another favorite book is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Space-Knight-...s=Space+Knight

In a universe where technology and magic co-exist, Nicholas Lyons desires one thing: to serve his queen as a Space Knight in the Royal Trident Forces. But when his final mission as an Academy cadet goes horribly wrong, Nicholas discovers he possesses illegal magical abilities that grant him power far beyond that of a normal man, knight, or mage.

When a clandestine assignment lands Nicholas on the worst starship in the kingdom’s fleet, he finds a motley crew of warriors hiding their own terrible secret. Death and betrayal lurk around every corner, and Nicholas finds himself torn between his loyalties to his new crew, or the oath he swore to his queen.

And death no matter which choice he makes.
    Both of these totally sound like Ripoffs of anime's that have been out a long time. That's not to say they aren't good, I'll check out the first chapter of the first one, but the similarities are massive and probably not coincidental. Want links to the anime's that probably inspired them?
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    Both of these totally sound like Ripoffs of anime's that have been out a long time. That's not to say they aren't good, I'll check out the first chapter of the first one, but the similarities are massive and probably not coincidental. Want links to the anime's that probably inspired them?
    It may be the case that they draw inspiration from them, but the more important issue here is that it is an entire GENRE with these themes. Its like Skyrim and MMO's meet fantasy over and over and over again. Hell, a lot of the books in this genre even directly reference anime (for real).

It's really an amazing, interesting genre that I would never have expected to like. Both of the books are easily 5 star books in my opinion. But in the last month or so I've read about 20-30 books in this genre that I can recommend.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

Here is how wiki describes it:

LitRPG, short for Literary Role Playing Game, is a literary genre combining the conventions of MMORPGs with science-fiction fantasy novels.[1] LitRPG is a literary genre where games or game-like challenges form an essential part of the story. A LitRPG work simultaneously narrates the story of characters inside and outside of the game-world. At least some of the characters in a LitRPG novel therefore understand that they are playing a game: they are 'meta-aware'. So, while Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is a fantasy novel, a book about people creating avatars and interacting in a Lord of the Rings MMORPG would be a LitRPG novel.[2]

History
    A definitive history detailing the infancy of LitRPG is difficult to track down.[3] With the rise of MMORPGs in the 1990s came Science Fiction novels that utilised virtual game worlds for their plots. Early examples are Tad Williams' 1996 - 2004 tetralogy, Otherland, Conor Kostick's 2004, Epic (Kostick novel) and Charles Stross's 2007 Halting State. In Taiwan, the first of Yu Wo's nine ½ Prince (½ 王子 Èrfēnzhīyī Wángzǐ) novels appeared, published in October 2004 by Ming Significant Cultural.[4] In Japan, the genre has reached the mainstream with the release of the media phenomenon Sword Art Online in 2009, which might be the originator of the genre's growth.[when?]

While these novels and others fit a broad definition of LitRPG a Russian publishing initiative identified the genre and gave it a name. In 2012, EKSMO, Russia's biggest publishing house, started its bestselling multiple-author project entitled LitRPG. According to the Russian LitRPG author Vasily Mahanenko, the actual name "LitRPG" was coined in late 2013 in the course of a brainstorming session between himself, EKSMO's science fiction editor Dmitry Malkin and fellow LitRPG author Alex Bobl. This explains the seeming grammatical awkwardness of the name: in Russian, the proper grammatical form is "LitRPG", not "RPGLit". Since 2014, Russian LitRPG authors began translating their work into other languages as an increasing fan base across various countries demanded more novels.[citation needed] While the first year included only five books in the fledgling genre,[citation needed] soon American authors began to make their voices heard.

Many of the post-2014 writers in this field insist that depiction of a character's in-game progression must be part of the definition of LitRPG, leading to the emergence of the term GameLit to distinguish those books that don't necessarily embody levelling and skill raising. Game-Lit, however, is sometimes used to denote books that are being turned into computer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    It may be the case that they draw inspiration from them, but the more important issue here is that it is an entire GENRE with these themes. Its like Skyrim and MMO's meet fantasy over and over and over again. Hell, a lot of the books in this genre even directly reference anime (for real).

It's really an amazing, interesting genre that I would never have expected to like. Both of the books are easily 5 star books in my opinion. But in the last month or so I've read about 20-30 books in this genre that I can recommend.
    Yeah, I hated to steal thunder or something, glad you found something cool. It's just kinda become it's own whole subgenre` of anime.

"Momonga is a regular salaryman who leads a guild in an DMMO-RPG known as Yggdrasil. After twelve years of playing the game, the servers are finally shutting down. Momonga logs in for the last time, seeing the game to its end. However, after the clock strikes midnight, nothing changes."

He basically becomes the villain of the world.

Overlord
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/overlord/...ginning-736615
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    Yeah, I hated to steal thunder or something, glad you found something cool. It's just kinda become it's own whole subgenre` of anime.

"Momonga is a regular salaryman who leads a guild in an DMMO-RPG known as Yggdrasil. After twelve years of playing the game, the servers are finally shutting down. Momonga logs in for the last time, seeing the game to its end. However, after the clock strikes midnight, nothing changes."

He basically becomes the villain of the world.

Overlord
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/overlord/...ginning-736615
    No thunder to steal. Easily 70% of the books I've read are about a person getting trapped in an MMO for real, or they find out that the MMO is more than a game. Awaken Online is neither of those though. It's just about a kid playing a new MMO that is a sort of nationally televised sport. Also there is an AI controller for the game that is doing real life shit to the players.

The Land for instance is a very popular LitRPG story described as:

Tricked into a world of banished gods, demons, goblins, sprites and magic, Richter must learn to meet the perils of The Land and begin to forge his own kingdom. Actions have consequences across The Land, with powerful creatures and factions now hell-bent on Richter's destruction.

Can Richter forge allegiances to survive this harsh and unforgiving world or will he fall to the dark denizens of this ancient and unforgiving realm?

A tale to shake "The Land" itself, measuring 10/10 on the Richter scale, how will Richter's choices shape the future of The Land and all who reside in it? Can he grow his power to meet the deadliest of beings of the land? When choices are often a shade of grey, how will Richter ensure he does not become what he seeks to destroy?

It probably has a lot more in common with the manga you linked than Awaken Online.

I'm just over here becoming a scholar on the cosmere Zavon... What have I done...

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    I'm just over here becoming a scholar on the cosmere Zavon... What have I done...
    I got Oathbringer on Audbile, but still haven't listened to it yet. I've been so caught up reading these god damn LitRPG books for the past several months that I've forgotten about it.

So, one of the reoccurring themes I saw a lot in these books is a system design similar to the Morrowind games. I decided to fire Skyrim up again, just because its been rolling around in me head, and I have to believe that Skyrim may be one of the best games ever created. There is just so much shit going on in that game... I just found a cave and a little area in the game I'd never been to, after like 5 playthroughs. I'm captivated all over again.