+ Reply to Thread

Default Final Fantasy 15

Very impressed so far. A surprisingly good port from Square, when their recent releases have been bashed for that and the game looks and plays phenomenally.

One of the biggest critiques from the PS4 version is that the story tells you little and doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you don't watch Kingsglaive first. I did that about a month ago when I found out and am glad that I watched it. People either seem to love or hate it, I enjoyed it very much though.

Granted, they have patched the crap out of the game, so they may have added some missing content that made the story more easy to follow but I do recommend watching the movie.

Also, it doesn't feel like an Final Fantasy game so far. It is almost this weird combination of Fallout and typical Square. A little over two hours in and all I have done is run around exploring, the story isn't shoved in your face, on rails type of thing.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Default Re: Final Fantasy 15

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    Also, it doesn't feel like an Final Fantasy game so far. It is almost this weird combination of Fallout and typical Square. A little over two hours in and all I have done is run around exploring, the story isn't shoved in your face, on rails type of thing.
    How does the story go forward? Is it not "Main Quest" tracked on/off like all other open world games?
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

It moves forward if you go to the marked area that is obviously the main quest and if you are about to do the end part of a current chapter, a little message pops up (like in FF14) that states you gonna be busy for a while, you sure you want to go forward?.

I now have to confirm that you really need to watch Kingsglaive. Had I not, I would have gotten to the beginning of chapter two being completely confused and nothing making sense. There is even a version with english voice actors that do a really good job.

Seriously, if you play this game, fucking watch it. Square did the story/lore a disservice by not adding Kingsglaive to the game.

Edit: Actually, Square didn't do the story/lore right at all because you have to go to several different places to understand all that happens in that universe. If you can, without spoilering shit, go to the FF15 wiki and try to read up after watching the movie. This game had the potential to have and maybe does, the best FF world if you didn't have to get everything in bits and pieces, in different mediums.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 03-06-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

I liked the movie. It was a bit simple for a standalone feature but it did a good job setting up an open world game.

Maybe I should have known from the start of the movie by his name but I didn't realize where the game was in relation to the movie until the very end when I recognized the four people in black driving the blue car in the little after credits scene. At that point it kinda clicked that the events of the movie must be what we're driving towards in the game.

Taking a nap while the game DL's because I'm just so fuckin smart I didn't start downloading while watching.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    I liked the movie. It was a bit simple for a standalone feature but it did a good job setting up an open world game.

Maybe I should have known from the start of the movie by his name but I didn't realize where the game was in relation to the movie until the very end when I recognized the four people in black driving the blue car in the little after credits scene. At that point it kinda clicked that the events of the movie must be what we're driving towards in the game.

Taking a nap while the game DL's because I'm just so fuckin smart I didn't start downloading while watching.
    Mmmm, without spoilering too much... the second chapter Aeinna talks about is where the movie would've taken place. Essentially between Ch1 and Ch2.

The game is very well polished. The magic system is a little weird, you just craft spells and use them with little regard to 'skills' or 'jobs'. In fact that's the only thing really missing from this FF installment. The RPG/Class structure that is in just about every other FF. Sure there are the skill trees, but a couple of them aren't even combat related, and they don't really add much to the characters aside from a few new chain skills.

I didn't end up finishing it the first time I went through it, I think I got to ch 6 or so. The game is definitely fun to play. I love the action aspect to the combat. I wouldn't really compare to fallout. Maybe Ninja Gaiden or some other flow-y combat type game.

I didn't mean Fallout because of the combat, but in how the world feels. Sort of open, sort of not at first. The desert, the starting hub areas and Cid.

I understand the people who crapped on the game and story of it. Square could have done a better job of giving you knowledge than just expecting you to have watched the movie. I also knew going in this was not going to be a typical FF game that shoves story in your face until you are ready to fight the boss and then goes, oh by the way, you can go explore everything now. Which makes me mad, because for me at that point, I want to finish the game to see how it ends.

They did a short 5 part anime that shows how all the guys became friends on youtube. It isn't essential to the story but it was interesting to watch. Each episode is around 14 minutes.

Actually a big portion of the fan-boi community are mad because of the cut content that was first teasered when it was called Final Fantasy VERSUS 13.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...rsus-13-behind

Disclaimer: At work so all websites tagged for gaming are blocked so I dumped the first relevant looking google link.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    Actually a big portion of the fan-boi community are mad because of the cut content that was first teasered when it was called Final Fantasy VERSUS 13.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...rsus-13-behind

Disclaimer: At work so all websites tagged for gaming are blocked so I dumped the first relevant looking google link.
    I know about those people but Square talked about why they did it. And while I liked FF13 (many people HATE 13), the combat was bad and needed to die. They wrapped the story up with Lightning Returns and I'm glad they moved on.

Also, I'm driving around in the car and flipping through the radio and noticed they have a lot of music from FF1, 7 and 13. They even put my favorite song from 13 in, from what I consider to be one of the best fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    I know about those people but Square talked about why they did it. And while I liked FF13 (many people HATE 13), the combat was bad and needed to die. They wrapped the story up with Lightning Returns and I'm glad they moved on.

Also, I'm driving around in the car and flipping through the radio and noticed they have a lot of music from FF1, 7 and 13. They even put my favorite song from 13 in, from what I consider to be one of the best fights.

I was PISSED when I realized that the version of Stand By Me that you hear at one point is a standalone song. It is NOT on the radio. Now I gotta find it and listen to it.

And regarding FF13, I have yet to finish that one too. The combat didn't bother me tooooo much, it was kinda stupid how it was pseudo real-time but really not at all. I am loving FF12 right now, I love how you can set up your own AI if>thens.
    Last edited by Pyrrhus; 03-07-2018 at 01:04 PM.

I know exactly zero squat doo doo about anything Final Fantasy. Never played any of the other games or MMOs. But is this some sort of apocalyptic setting MMO based on the FF ip?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    I know exactly zero squat doo doo about anything Final Fantasy. Never played any of the other games or MMOs. But is this some sort of apocalyptic setting MMO based on the FF ip?
    It's not an MMO, it's an open world RPG. But, every FF game always has an apocalyptic setting, and they all tend to be self contained with similar themes (crystals, etc).
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    It's not an MMO, it's an open world RPG. But, every FF game always has an apocalyptic setting, and they all tend to be self contained with similar themes (crystals, etc).
    FF15 being the first open world action combat FF game. All the others are some form of active turn based or true turn based. You can play any of the numbered FF games, in any order and a lot of people seem to think 15 is a good starting point for first timers to the series.

I throw out a word of warning to anyone who has never played an FF game, the ones previous to 15 require heavy grinding or deliberate staying in each area until you can annihilate the monsters there with ease. 15 is not like this, I am on chapter 3 and already 10 levels above it. I do like that they took a similar upgrade system from X and made it simpler. X's sphere grid was ridiculous (still favorite of the series that I've played so far).

If you like open world games but want a better story, cause lets be honest, the main story to Elder Scrolls/Fallout (excluding FONV) are not great, you might really enjoy it. The side stuff to 15 so far is dinky little things, don't expect Dark brotherhood type story but the plot is what all FF games are about. They tell a story and often do it extremely well.

Edit: Actually not sure if 15 is the first open world FF game, as 6 and 12 have those aspects but it is the first that I can recall that truly says, here is your space, go do whatever. You do have to complete some story to get other areas unlocked, in the same way FONV had areas with level restrictions. It seems to be more open world than any other FF game.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 03-07-2018 at 11:59 PM.