+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fornite?

Default Fornite?

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/home

Has anyone played and reviewed this and I missed it? What is this game about?

I need a PC based FPS to replace the trash that Overwatch turned out to be.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Default Re: Fornite?

Big time cash grabber. Expensive buy-in beta, classic paid loot boxes where they throw a bunch at you early in the game to get you going and then grindwall you off making you want to buy them. Events latch on to the paid/grind loot boxes, where you get tokens from the standard boxes to unlock the event / beta / holiday / whatever boxes which have good/new/weird shit in them that is limited eddittion so you gotta get 'em NOW NOW NOW (READ: pull out your wallet).

The gameplay was okay, like a 7/10 game while you were shooting stuff and building in PvE but the overall gameplay loop was just horrendous. Tons of time spent in complicated menus outside of matches micromanaging a ton of shit. All the weapons burn durability with use but there's no repair feature so all gear items are essentially consumables. Combine constant weapon crafting with constant need for materials to build and you spend way too much time harvesting during the match. On top of all that, you had max stacks of materials, limited inventory slots and the harvest rates aren't tuned at all so you also get to stop every so often and micromange your shit to throw out 99 and 999 stacks of dumb common shit. You can't even learn the system to avoid harvesting dumb shit because it comes at the same time you harvest basic things.

Maybe they've QoL tuned it some by now, but it had a horrid start so I'm not optimistic that it's anything but band aided at this point. I meant to keep up with it but the launcher prompts me for large patches and most of the front page news about it is for the battle royale PvP mode that I have no interest in. I stopped paying attention.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 03-07-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Ahhh I see. Ok maybe I'll steer clear of this one then and wait for something better.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

We just got a gaggle of PvE shooters. Deep Rock Galactic, Vermintide 2, The Hunt: Showdown and Rainbow 6 siege has a PvE vs zombies mode that launched the other night.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

From what I know, its Battle Royale mode (similar to PUBG and the reason it's #1 on Twitch) is a fairly large departure from its regular mode. It's F2P now so it's worth trying out I guess.
    It's going to be a fine day tomorrow. We will have salad...

Hmmm......that's actually what I'd be more interested in anyways is the PvP. I'm generally either PvP FPS or MMO guy. I like the two extreme ends of the bell curve in gaming I guess lol. I may download it and give it a try.