+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets Get Ready

Default Lets Get Ready

We've slowly been accumulating prep gear over years. Advice or questions about this to help all 4 of us here interested in this would be nice.

Water supplies:

Purification tablets
    Water Bob
    Life straw
    Canteens

Food:

Freeze dried in cans or packets
    Butane camp stove
    Matches - Both waterproof and regular
    Titanium sporks
    Camp pots
    Fire starter kit

Weapons:

Katana
    Bows

Miscellaneous:

Mylar blankets
    Backpacks
    Paracord

Guns, solid fuel tabs, rain catcher, first aid kit, etc are things missing and on the to do list. We also have a dog and want to get him his own bugout bag, so he can carry things as well.

Whats missing/needed? Is anyone else prepping? Most of this stuff is inexpensive, so I feel like its smart to at least get the food and water materials. We have most of this but with our current environment our paranoia is coming out and we want to be extra prepared.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Default Re: Lets Get Ready

Man I knew ya'll niggas was the coolest shit eva. I'm been getting into prepping too. I've been working on self sustainable farming (we've been working on our gardening for a few years now), hunting (got a deer this year on my own property) and storing ammo. (I've got close to 5k rounds total for all 5 of my guns).

I definitely need to get up a decent supply of canned goods that will last a long time for that long term emergency in case of a really bad SHTF or Teotwawki situation. If your preps don't have preps then you're one disaster away from starvation.

I also need to work on my water storage. The main problem where I'm at right now is our house doesn't have much storage space enough though it actually has more square footage than our last one.

Looks like you guys are off to a good start.

For guns I highly recommend an AK. I got one and holy crap it's like lego gun that can shoot anything. I mean it's literally so easy to take apart you could take it apart and clean it standing up in the woods. No need for a flat table and a bunch of cleaning instruments or tools or containers to keep little parts in. I went with a Saiga AK in 762x39 but eventually I want to get myself one in .308 or 762x54R and let the wife use this one.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Looking at grabbing this package deal while it's on sale. Canned goods aren't the best for long storage, Aeinna will link you some shit. Considering also grabbing a bipod setup. Could hunt with it as well so a bunch of of purpose met in one tool. Less to carry in a bugout situation. Other things on the acquiring list: Remington or Browning 12 gauge pump action, 2x Beretta M9's or whatever is the most bang for the buck when we're getting the handguns.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wes...e-package.html

/edit: acquired, couldn't resist
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

For food I suggest Mountain House. We have several cans and on lazy weeks, we just open one up (and replace it), they are that good. I recommend chicken and rice, chilimac and spaghetti.

There is no good way to store water, so water bob is one of the best ways to get water in a bad situation if hunkering down.

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emer...ords=water+bob

Edit:

What you get is all dependent on if you have to move or can stay where you are. If you don't have to get the fuck out of your area, look at rain catchers and if you don't have a well, it would be a good investment.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 03-24-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Anyone have any input on backpacks? Looking for some good ones.

Just throwing it out there that in many places you don't want to get -caught- collecting rainwater.

I see Colorado just legalized or is in the process of legalizing storing your excess generated power rather than being required to hook it up to the grid for negative metering.

If only more states allowed this, it might actually be good to install solar at my house. Even wind. We have a huge field close to the top of a small mountain, we get a ton of sun and wind.

I didn't know about the rain catcher thing, which is retarded as fuck, because if you have a well, you don't pay the government.

Unless you can only have a well in areas that allow rain catchers.

I'm not surprised some states/counties say you can't have a well but to say you can't collect rain, just drives home how fucked up things are.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 03-27-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Make sure to get one of these for your bunker:

"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    Anyone have any input on backpacks? Looking for some good ones.
    Tom Bihn is the shit. I own their Tristar and I've seen their regular backpacks. They look like civilian gear but they're over engineered and really well thought out.

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I didn't know about the rain catcher thing, which is retarded as fuck, because if you have a well, you don't pay the government.

Unless you can only have a well in areas that allow rain catchers.

I'm not surprised some states/counties say you can't have a well but to say you can't collect rain, just drives home how fucked up things are.
    I believe the 'idea' behind rain water collection bans is that if 'everyone' is collecting rainwater then the ground watershed never gets replenished.

I know I live in a state park in a watershed of a very popular summer tourist lake, and there are INSANE requirements on stormwater drainage, making sure any building you do doesn't impact the local watershed and natural drainage paths, etc.

While to an extent, yea its good to preserve the natural environment, on the other hand, they are requiring you to prep for a 1,000 year storm that may never occur, and if it does your 8ft round retaining pond with 8inch burms isn't going to stop flooding of a few inches an hour worth of rain.

Tom Bihn is the shit. I own their Tristar and I've seen their regular backpacks. They look like civilian gear but they're over engineered and really well thought out.
    Thanks for the suggestion but nigger, we could get a middle of the road pistol/shotgun for the cost of one of those that would be suitable for gtfo'ing. God damn, 480 dollars.... and I'm reading, they even have height suggestions. Never considered this or how uncomfortable one might be to carry that is half the size of my body.

I believe the 'idea' behind rain water collection bans is that if 'everyone' is collecting rainwater then the ground watershed never gets replenished.

I know I live in a state park in a watershed of a very popular summer tourist lake, and there are INSANE requirements on stormwater drainage, making sure any building you do doesn't impact the local watershed and natural drainage paths, etc.

While to an extent, yea its good to preserve the natural environment, on the other hand, they are requiring you to prep for a 1,000 year storm that may never occur, and if it does your 8ft round retaining pond with 8inch burms isn't going to stop flooding of a few inches an hour worth of rain.
    The idea behind the ban is... like buh? Do they even? Do you know what type of rain catchers everyone would have to have to be able to accomplish this? That can't be the reason.

I understand the storm drainage, even house building has codes in certain areas to prevent flooding. There are a lot of laws that are dumb in regards to what you can and can not do on your own land. I am not talking about HOA's either (which I would never want to live in an area with one of those).

Serious question, if you have to bug out and leave, what exactly do you do for toilet paper? Do you just carry a few rolls and be extremely careful with how much you use? Is there something in particular hikers use or take with them?

Thanks for the suggestion but nigger, we could get a middle of the road pistol/shotgun for the cost of one of those that would be suitable for gtfo'ing. God damn, 480 dollars.... and I'm reading, they even have height suggestions. Never considered this or how uncomfortable one might be to carry that is half the size of my body.
    I carried an M-51 with military standard stitching from Amazon to work every day for like three years and thought it was just the greatest thing ever.

Took a bus trip from MD to TX and back with it. Once I had to actually use it for more than going from car to desk that seemingly good/okay bag just failed. Everything ripped, the strap was uncomfortable to the point I was switching shoulders all the time, all the weight shifted around inside it and some of the smaller zippers broke before I was halfway to Tx. Pulling it in and out of the overhead, standing with it for hours, digging around in it. By the time I got home it was basically just an overstuffed canvas sack I had to hold together by hand.

I think at the time I paid $290ish total for the Tri Star bag and the shoulder strap upgrade. Best money I ever spent. I'll never go through that crap again.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

The idea behind the ban is... like buh? Do they even? Do you know what type of rain catchers everyone would have to have to be able to accomplish this? That can't be the reason.

I understand the storm drainage, even house building has codes in certain areas to prevent flooding. There are a lot of laws that are dumb in regards to what you can and can not do on your own land. I am not talking about HOA's either (which I would never want to live in an area with one of those).

Serious question, if you have to bug out and leave, what exactly do you do for toilet paper? Do you just carry a few rolls and be extremely careful with how much you use? Is there something in particular hikers use or take with them?

I believe, the bans are in metro areas or a few select states. It's not THAT widespread, but first result on google shows that local municipalities have done a lot to target private citizens with this ban. I only read the start of it, and it's a bit dated. I would assuming lobbying (from companies like Nestle and other water bottlers) do what they can to prevent people from supplying their own water. I would imagine it is worst in places where water reclamation and treatment for a municipality is handled by a third party contractor. Here is another link from Foxnews that has some more historical details on water collection. I think my statement earlier was from some 'fake news' I heard online long ago about rainwater collection becoming increasingly regulated. I feel like some 'reality TV shows' have touched on it before as well, but again could just be local municipality laws.

So I could just be an alarmist plebe on that issue.

I get the storm drainage too, but for example they had us build a small retaining pond and burm in a place where the water was already naturally going to collect and drain, and we have another natural dip on the property that would collect flood waters and drain them. We live close to the top of a small hill/mountain as I said before.

And for 'emergency' TP. I've seen pine cones used, leaves, birch bark, your bare hands and water, if it's really a survival situation you'll just clean off in some water or with what you have on hand. Otherwise I might suggest using coreless toiletpaper rolls and saving the 'core' part of the roll as it is generally super compressed and has quite a bit of TP in it that you can throw in a small Tupperware or something to keep dry.
    Last edited by Pyrrhus; 03-28-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    And for 'emergency' TP. I've seen pine cones used, leaves, birch bark, your bare hands and water, if it's really a survival situation you'll just clean off in some water or with what you have on hand. Otherwise I might suggest using coreless toiletpaper rolls and saving the 'core' part of the roll as it is generally super compressed and has quite a bit of TP in it that you can throw in a small Tupperware or something to keep dry.
    Dangar. I wonder if there is some easily washable (in a basin or stream) cloth out there that could be purposed as TP for these sorts of situations.

"The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    I carried an M-51 with military standard stitching from Amazon to work every day for like three years and thought it was just the greatest thing ever.

Took a bus trip from MD to TX and back with it. Once I had to actually use it for more than going from car to desk that seemingly good/okay bag just failed. Everything ripped, the strap was uncomfortable to the point I was switching shoulders all the time, all the weight shifted around inside it and some of the smaller zippers broke before I was halfway to Tx. Pulling it in and out of the overhead, standing with it for hours, digging around in it. By the time I got home it was basically just an overstuffed canvas sack I had to hold together by hand.

I think at the time I paid $290ish total for the Tri Star bag and the shoulder strap upgrade. Best money I ever spent. I'll never go through that crap again.
    I can not justify that price right now, when there are many other supplies to be had. I bookmarked those, in case I can not find something that meets requirements or maybe they have a sale and we grab one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrr
    I believe, the bans are in metro areas or a few select states. It's not THAT widespread, but first result on google shows that local municipalities have done a lot to target private citizens with this ban. I only read the start of it, and it's a bit dated. I would assuming lobbying (from companies like Nestle and other water bottlers) do what they can to prevent people from supplying their own water. I would imagine it is worst in places where water reclamation and treatment for a municipality is handled by a third party contractor. Here is another link from Foxnews that has some more historical details on water collection. I think my statement earlier was from some 'fake news' I heard online long ago about rainwater collection becoming increasingly regulated. I feel like some 'reality TV shows' have touched on it before as well, but again could just be local municipality laws.

So I could just be an alarmist plebe on that issue.

I get the storm drainage too, but for example they had us build a small retaining pond and burm in a place where the water was already naturally going to collect and drain, and we have another natural dip on the property that would collect flood waters and drain them. We live close to the top of a small hill/mountain as I said before.

The conclusion from this is that the government cares way too damn much about what people do on their property. As long as you aren't setting fires everywhere, they shouldn't give a fuck. To make sure I'm being clear, I am not talking about renting but owning your own land and house on it. Sometimes it is the little things that bring to light how crap things are.

And pine cones? Are you serious? How? I've had one puncture a foot before, I can not imagine wiping with it. In a hunker down situation a travel bidet would work good and not waste paper if you don't have to worry about water supply. Maybe you just carry wipies, as they are more compact and take up less room than a roll of TP.

As to the pine cones, you would take the seeds/needles/w.e you want to call them off first and use the softer inner core.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    As to the pine cones, you would take the seeds/needles/w.e you want to call them off first and use the softer inner core.
    Nah, fuck that, put the cone in the pooter just the way nature intended.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

Niggers, I want to find a decent reflex sight with picatinny mounting that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Recommendations?

Was looking at this: https://daggerdefense.com/?product=d...red-dot-sights

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    Niggers, I want to find a decent reflex sight with picatinny mounting that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Recommendations?

Was looking at this: https://daggerdefense.com/?product=d...red-dot-sights
    $100 off right now on $150 bushnells. You may need to buy a riser for it if it's for the gun I think it is, but it's still insane value.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trop...dp/B00200E0HM/

$100 off right now on $150 bushnells. You may need to buy a riser for it if it's for the gun I think it is, but it's still insane value.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trop...dp/B00200E0HM/
    Sweet, thanks VK - that was a good deal. Ordered that + riser and a red dot cartridge so I can get the zero'ing started and use less rounds to get it spot on.

Now I have a decent quality AR setup + optics.

I don't normally think guns are sexy but damn, this one is.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-fs-fusion/

If I had spare cash to spend, i'd also pick this up without thinking.

https://www.colt.com/series/SAA_SERIES

Damn, you're on a roll today.

Facepalm Re: Lets Get Ready

Went to the range but didn't get anything yet. My fundamentals are shit.

I shot a box of 12g and a box of 9mm. The recoil didn't bother me but I was wobbly af just trying to aim. The pistol was impossible and I totally missed the paper one time trying to shoot a 3rnd group at 25yrds. The shotgun was infuriating but with patience I put all the slugs right where I wanted them.

Whole exercise just made me want an AR-15. Going to go back and try one of those next because a pistol grip and firing 5.56 from a lighter rifle seems like it would be a lot more pleasurable.

Toilet paper
    Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    ...you're on a roll...

Polishing off his dad jokes.