+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fary Cry 5

Default Fary Cry 5

9/10. - 1pt only for price. $60 and has it's hand out for DLC on day 1... If this were a $40 game with $60 coming with all DLC it'd be 10/10.

Action is good. Story is typical Far Cry. Roaming is fun.

Americana stuff is delightfully self aware and it didn't feel political. It just felt fun. The only weird thing was that they put in the MP40 but not a Thompson. Felt like a Nazi jab, but w/ever the MP40 is frikkin awesome and it works great if you have the perk to hold more ammo (mobs don't drop much SMG ammo.) so I'm not complaining.

Attacking bases and story missions felt a little too easy on "Normal" TBH. The starter pistol (1911) is super overpowered. Accurate as a laser, bullets as fast as a rifle round and there's no bullet drop in the game so everything shoots flat as a pancake, and it one hit kills standard enemies with headshots out to sniper rifle distances, with no penalty for throwing a suppressor ("silencer") on it. The whole take down system was condensed to a single perk. Once you have that perk and your silent 1911 the entire game becomes a giant basket of options to kill armored enemies, VIPs and deal with vehicles... which are rare if you don't let them hit alarms... Between instakill takedowns a 50cal sniper, three kinds of explosives and an RPG I never once hit a snag even when I was being loud. There was even a mission to destroy a giant statue using your explosives and I had no problem defeating the armored enemies in the waves and exploding the statue at the same time, with no perks for extra ammo capacity on any of it.

Good replay. Smashing through the whole game left me with a bunch of questions and unhappy with the ending I got, but the gameplay was fun enough that I'm not put off. I'll boot it up again later see what's up with another ending.

Did not try online co-op because the companions are great. I mostly used Peaches (Domesticated cougar (literal female mountain lion, not hot older woman)) and Boomer (Dog) because they didn't mess up stealth or block LoS. They had a tendency to get themselves hit by cars now and again, including my own, but reviving is quick and it wasn't annoying. EDIT: https://imgur.com/gallery/jlelx - Peaches gallery someone else put on Imgur.

Random aggro is better than the previous games, as wild animals didn't just totally ruin it. I went the whole game and never felt the need to take the perk that makes animals like you more than enemies. With NPC's running interference and animals MOSTLY staying to the woods it was fine.

Last edited by VKhaun; 03-30-2018 at 03:36 AM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Default Re: Fary Cry 5

Just d/l the other night, and it is for sure a very gorgeous game.

I though the difficulty was really easy doing the starter/tutorial missions so I plan on amping it up when I get into it again.

I'm curious to see decision/path/ending options as I almost let it sit there and see if there was an ending when you're supposed to cuff the cult leader. I know FC4 had a similar one if you never got up to go investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    I'm curious to see decision/path/ending options as I almost let it sit there and see if there was an ending when you're supposed to cuff the cult leader. I know FC4 had a similar one if you never got up to go investigate.
    I just did this. It's a thing but it's boring. The sheriff eventually tells you not to, and tells the marshal that if you do the party will all die. Then you all leave while the marshal throws a tantrum. Roll credits. Back to start menu.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 03-31-2018 at 06:02 AM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

From I, Hypocrit:

When you're just a simple games journo trying to rate a new game but you can't figure out if it's left wing enough for approval.

If I had the money and rig to play the game, I'd probably get it for being an open world apolitical game. I'm so sick of politics being inserted into every god damn thing.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Zav, I'm playing it on PS4 and it's still gorgeous.

I'm assuming the 'joke' is that these guys are looking for some political message when there doesn't need to be one?

I can say that the message is clearly that cults living in the mid-west are absurd, and preppers are preparing for more than just 'the gubment coming to take mah guns' or 'zombies'. There couldn't possibly be such things in reality though... no, certainly not.

Zav, I'm playing it on PS4 and it's still gorgeous.

I'm assuming the 'joke' is that these guys are looking for some political message when there doesn't need to be one?

I can say that the message is clearly that cults living in the mid-west are absurd, and preppers are preparing for more than just 'the gubment coming to take mah guns' or 'zombies'. There couldn't possibly be such things in reality though... no, certainly not.
    I don't have a PS4. The last console I owned was a 360. They are too expensive imo. I pretty much only buy steam sale shit, unless its a CRPG.

Yeah, they want everything to be left leaning in political message. If it doesn't paint conseratives in a bad light or make everything a gay lesbian muslim or talk about the plight of racism, sexism, then its probelmatic. For whatever reason, a lot of left wing cuck journalists really wanted this game to be anti-conservative. I guess because of all the flag imagery-- so many people hate america now.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

I can say that the message is clearly that cults living in the mid-west are absurd, and preppers are preparing for more than just 'the gubment coming to take mah guns' or 'zombies'.
    I agree. It has mixed messages on guns, drugs, animals and the law, but clearly and consistently puts down people preparing for bad times as either having sinister motives or being failures. Most of the good people throughout the game act like helpless, unprepared victims unless the story needs an excuse to give you a big rig with machineguns or something. Dead civilians are all over their own houses and streets like props, and the prepper bunkers are all empty and damaged waiting to be raided for cash and supplies from the dead owner. The dead civilians don't even have loot or a purpose, they're just there like rocks and trees and signs.

It's just assumed that everyone dies and preparations were in vain or turned into criminality. Kinda sad really. Ubisoft is french though so this just may be how they think, rather than some intentional message.