+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Book Sticky Thread

The most recent book that I've read was:

Morningwood: Everybody loves large chests

It's a book about a Mimic, in a dungeon that gets lucky and progressively more dangerous. It's a humor book, very easy read, and it had me laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face. It has been a very long time since I've laughed that hard.

I just started the second book in the series.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

Default Re: Book Sticky Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    The most recent book that I've read was:

Morningwood: Everybody loves large chests

It's a book about a Mimic, in a dungeon that gets lucky and progressively more dangerous. It's a humor book, very easy read, and it had me laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face. It has been a very long time since I've laughed that hard.

I just started the second book in the series.
    I might have to read that, its rare for books to be laugh out loud funny. They try and fail so often (Good Omens anyone? I wish I found Terry Pratchett funny).

Think i'm going to sub for a month to kindle unlimited, to bad it isn't on there.

As previously stated, just finished The Madness Season and it is worth a read, even if the ending was off. Trying to read This Alien Shore by Friedman and blergh, probably not going to finish it. Which is too bad, she is a fantastic writer.

Also doing my quarterly check on the people I do read and wonder if Jim Butcher is ever going to do another Dresden Files. Its been 4 years already, so sad.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Kindle Unlimited is so worth it. I can recommend hordes of books that are KU eligible.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

Can you recommend this then:

1. Revolving around a minimal group of characters. Once you reach 4+ main characters, you usually stop caring about half of them.
    2. I can't stand pages of inner dialog, I'd rather read conversations. I also hate people who feel the need to overly describe everything. I do not need to know the intricate details of a fucking door. Leave shit to the readers imagination.
    3. Angst/y overly emotional crap is going to make me nope out.
    4. Some romance is preferable, even if it takes a major backseat to the story. It usually lends a depth to the characters otherwise not there.
    5. Anti-heroes are the best or having no clear definition if the characters are good or bad.

I'm a picky bitch about books. I'll try most anything but to make me love it, it usually needs most of what I listed. If you actually can recommend something that fits that list, that would be awesome.

Edit: There is always exceptions to the rule, of course.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 04-09-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    Can you recommend this then:

1. Revolving around a minimal group of characters. Once you reach 4+ main characters, you usually stop caring about half of them.
    2. I can't stand pages of inner dialog, I'd rather read conversations. I also hate people who feel the need to overly describe everything. I do not need to know the intricate details of a fucking door. Leave shit to the readers imagination.
    3. Angst/y overly emotional crap is going to make me nope out.
    4. Some romance is preferable, even if it takes a major backseat to the story. It usually lends a depth to the characters otherwise not there.
    5. Anti-heroes are the best or having no clear definition if the characters are good or bad.

I'm a picky bitch about books. I'll try most anything but to make me love it, it usually needs most of what I listed. If you actually can recommend something that fits that list, that would be awesome.

Edit: There is always exceptions to the rule, of course.

Try the Destroyer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eries_rw_dp_sw

Just check out the sample to see if you like it. Anti-Hero, bent on revenge, not angsty just the right amount of proper racial hatred driving the character. The author became one of my favorite top 5 from this story.

Edit: If you decide you like it, and don't have Kindle Unlimited I can loan it to you through amazon for 14 days via an e-mail address that yoru kindle accuont uses.
    Last edited by Zavon; 04-09-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Try the Destroyer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eries_rw_dp_sw

Just check out the sample to see if you like it. Anti-Hero, bent on revenge, not angsty just the right amount of proper racial hatred driving the character. The author became one of my favorite top 5 from this story.

Edit: If you decide you like it, and don't have Kindle Unlimited I can loan it to you through amazon for 14 days via an e-mail address that yoru kindle accuont uses.
    "This nigga had a word of the day calendar and abused it horribly", Marou expectorated.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    "This nigga had a word of the day calendar and abused it horribly", Marou expectorated.
    IDK what that means

Over halfway through and it has gotten much better. I can tell it is his first book and he has improved greatly at writing already, I will assume the other titles are better as well. Thanks for the recommendation, it is always fun to read about a main character kicking ass and being overly powerful.

I highly suggest you try God Touched, very similar main characters in their attitude and strengths. Marou can lend it to you, he has the first 6 or so in the series.

Edit: Finished it, pretty decent overall even if I do not like cliffhanger endings. I read reviews and the direction it heads (especially with the relationships, fucking hate love triangles) would just annoy me. The bad reviews/spoilers for the 4th book are enough for me to know to stop here.

Still, thanks for the suggestion. The main character was fun and I wish more people would write like that.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 04-10-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Over halfway through and it has gotten much better. I can tell it is his first book and he has improved greatly at writing already, I will assume the other titles are better as well. Thanks for the recommendation, it is always fun to read about a main character kicking ass and being overly powerful.

I highly suggest you try God Touched, very similar main characters in their attitude and strengths. Marou can lend it to you, he has the first 6 or so in the series.
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous and over the top, but in a fun way. Sort of the urban fantasy version of One Punch Man.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Let me finish what I'm reading atm, then I'll hit you up on steam with my address. The kindle thing gives you 14 days and I want to make sure I have enough time to read it.

I'm a few pages away from finishing my first Sackett book. Ya'll should have told me Louis L'amour was a pen name for RA Salvatore to write western novels under. I think all the Sackett brothers are direct descendents of Drizzt lol.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

I went through 5 books yesterday to find something to read, still looking. Two of which punched me in the face about 1/3 of the way through with libtard shit. I do not want real world politics in anything I read, from any side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    I'm a few pages away from finishing my first Sackett book. Ya'll should have told me Louis L'amour was a pen name for RA Salvatore to write western novels under. I think all the Sackett brothers are direct descendents of Drizzt lol.
    I didn't know anyone here read him or that he had an alias. He seems to be one of those writers where either you love or hate him.

I went through 5 books yesterday to find something to read, still looking. Two of which punched me in the face about 1/3 of the way through with libtard shit. I do not want real world politics in anything I read, from any side.

I didn't know anyone here read him or that he had an alias. He seems to be one of those writers where either you love or hate him.
    Haha I was actually joking ut they definitely write similar. Their primary character seems to be this unbeatable can of female orvasm creating manliness.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

If you like dark stories and characters (which I love), with strong Horror or Lovecraftian elements, I highly recommend the Disciple of a Dark God trilogy. It isn't complete yet, but the second book just came out and it is absolutely fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Disciple-Dark...dp/B076KKK786/

I finished God Touched. It was, "ok". For a full length novel, not really a lot happened. The main character fits the formulaic stereotype, a quote "not that attractive man" so that the every guy can relate, but yet every woman in the story wants him. The token beyond Victoria secret model girlfriend is provided as well as the god like pet. It was fun but I will not read further unless I run out of other stuff.

I finished God Touched. It was, "ok". For a full length novel, not really a lot happened. The main character fits the formulaic stereotype, a quote "not that attractive man" so that the every guy can relate, but yet every woman in the story wants him. The token beyond Victoria secret model girlfriend is provided as well as the god like pet. It was fun but I will not read further unless I run out of other stuff.
    Been quite a few years since I've read it and I stopped around book 6, but it was enjoyable for a quick read and the other books got better and then worse. As often happens in long series. Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan books started out good, then got so bad I stopped reading them. Then she finished it and I decided to see what happened, surprisingly she pulled her shit together and it ended great. Wish more writers did that. LOOKING AT YOU LAURELL K HAMILTON! Talk about ruining a fucking great series.

Gave this a go, almost done. Not bad, the rest are free, so I'll keep going to see what happens or I get annoyed with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eries_rw_dp_sw

Been quite a few years since I've read it and I stopped around book 6, but it was enjoyable for a quick read and the other books got better and then worse. As often happens in long series. Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan books started out good, then got so bad I stopped reading them. Then she finished it and I decided to see what happened, surprisingly she pulled her shit together and it ended great. Wish more writers did that. LOOKING AT YOU LAURELL K HAMILTON! Talk about ruining a fucking great series.

Gave this a go, almost done. Not bad, the rest are free, so I'll keep going to see what happens or I get annoyed with it.

It's rare that I find the female author that I can stand. I can't articulate exactly why that is the case, because it's never a matter of "bad writing". Just, I guess the focus on emotional states and too much romance, if I had to hazard a guess.

A husband wife team wrote the "Accidental" series which I found to be nice and charming (Kindle Unlimited). They just came out with a new trilogy in the world too, starring the daughter of the MC. It has a bit of a slow start, but if you get past that you might like it.

Last edited by Zavon; 04-12-2018 at 07:00 PM.

It's rare that I find the female author that I can stand. I can't articulate exactly why that is the case, because it's never a matter of "bad writing". Just, I guess the focus on emotional states and too much romance, if I had to hazard a guess.

A husband wife team wrote the "Accidental" series which I found to be nice and charming (Kindle Unlimited). They just came out with a new trilogy in the world too, starring the daughter of the MC. It has a bit of a slow start, but if you get past that you might like it.

I think it is multiple things. They do focus on emotions more but they also write annoying women. It is like the majority of female writers are afraid to write a woman who isn't either some sort of badass don't need no man bitch or an angel who can do no wrong. They aren't human and usually not likable. It doesn't help that they write the men the same way. Top all of that off with romance that is over the top stupid and yeah, that is most fantasy/urban fiction female authors.

I can name a handful that write like men.

Patricia Briggs
    C.S. Friedman
    Anne Bishop

Apparently not a handful. This doesn't mean I can't recommend good female writers because I do mostly read them but those women I probably wouldn't suggest to most of anyone. I find that men suffer from being unable to have a proper romance so they either don't or its really cringey. They also make way too many martyr's.

I don't think LitRPG is for me. I've tried a couple and they just feel...goofy. Which, not shitting on a genre you like (historical romance is my jam) but it is hard for me to get into them.

In all the thousands of books that I've read, I think that Elizabeth Hayden has written the only romance that has moved me powerfully. The Rhapsody series or whatever its called. I read it a decade or two ago, and still think about it sometimes.

I'm a literature whore. I read every genre without limitation, except non-fiction.

Edit: well, I don't really read romance, but I have read some of those urban fantasy Laura Hamilton type books before.
    Last edited by Zavon; 04-12-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Who keeps unstickying the sticky thread?

I've never seen it been a sticky, weird. I'll ask Marou to look at it.

I read romance (except contemporary, that shit is awful) because it makes me happy. It can't be just romance, gotta have some other plot going on though or it gets boring quick.

If you ever want to give something different a chance, Amanda Quick is one of my favorites. Historical romance, cheesy paranormal, and pretty much angst free too.

The Nightside is one of the best series I've ever read. Starts out slow, takes a couple of books to get the story arc going but I loved John Taylor and Shotgun Suzie so much. I've liked most of what he has done, his Hawk and Fisher books are a favorite of mine as well.

Edit: Still haven't found any new books worth mentioning. Gotta get through piles of mediocre and crap to find that gem.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 04-13-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Who keeps unstickying the sticky thread?
    Why you keep making your books sticky?
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Peanutbutters jelly lol

Currently reading a fairly interesting book called "Lords of Asylum" https://www.amazon.com/Lords-Asylum-...dp/B01BPVX4Y6/

First, it's a thicc book at almost 500 pages. But the premise is simple: a disgraced hedge knight is forced to solve a mystery in a medieval town that has gone to shit. Jews are doing all kinds of shady shit, the plague is everywhere, the lords and the priesthood despise him, and he's a deep alcoholic. I give it an A for effort so far, even though the dialogue gets a little too tedious at times, and the book had sort of a rough start. There have been some great moments of dialogue to off set the too many conversations. If you have Kindle Unlimited, I'd give it a read, otherwise don't bother.

Dude, have you noticed this new reverse harem theme all over fantasy and sci fi? I spent a couple of days reading a few of them because I can't help myself. It is like seeing a horrible movie and wondering why you keep watching.

I've also noticed a disturbing trend among the paranormal genre. The main character is some female who was abused horribly as a kid but has grown into a stronk woman through it all and now is a badass. inevitably she goes into overly graphic detail about this abuse with her lover, who is enraged and yet tender, gently wiping the single tear that fell out of her eye while telling of these past experiences.

Victim porn is not for me.