+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Lula (former president of Brazil) in jail

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aft/496973002/

"Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was spending his first night in jail, a stunning fall from grace for a man who rose from nothing to lead Latin America's largest nation and later became engulfed in corruption allegations."

Foreshadowing possible clashes in the weeks to come, police shot rubber bullets and sprayed tear gas late Saturday at supporters waiting for da Silva as he landed in a police helicopter in the southern city of Curitiba, where he will serve his 12-year sentence for money laundering and corruption."

"After running for president several times, in 2002 da Silva finally won. He governed from 2003 to 2010, leaving office an international celebrity and with approval ratings in the high 80s.

Former U.S. President Barack Obama once called da Silva the "most popular politician on Earth.""

yes the same Lula in this video:

So i would say that (for now at least) is Brazil 1 USA 0! What happened to Trump's "Lock her up?" hah!!
    Last edited by Sofista; 05-15-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Default Re: Lula (former president of Brazil) in jail

Quote Originally Posted by Sofista View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aft/496973002/

"Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was spending his first night in jail, a stunning fall from grace for a man who rose from nothing to lead Latin America's largest nation and later became engulfed in corruption allegations."

Foreshadowing possible clashes in the weeks to come, police shot rubber bullets and sprayed tear gas late Saturday at supporters waiting for da Silva as he landed in a police helicopter in the southern city of Curitiba, where he will serve his 12-year sentence for money laundering and corruption."

"After running for president several times, in 2002 da Silva finally won. He governed from 2003 to 2010, leaving office an international celebrity and with approval ratings in the high 80s.

Former U.S. President Barack Obama once called da Silva the "most popular politician on Earth.""

yes the same Lula in this video:

So i would say that (for now at least) is Brazil 1 USA 0! What happened to Trump's "Lock her up?" hah!!
    Congrats, I was partly keeping up with what was going on down there and she deserves worse than what she's getting.

Trump has shown how deeply corrupted our entire government is (from judiciary to legislature). I don't think we'll fix it without rebellion or a coup, neither of which are likely to happen until the next major economic downturn/collapse.

>Troops still in Afghanistan.

>Troops still in Syria.

>Troops still in a dozen other Muslim countries.

>No wall.

>Hillary/Obama breathing freedom.

>30 million plus illegals still in the US.

>Sanctuary cities still in operation.

>Still taking in Muslim "refugees".

>Still taking in a hundred thousand Muslim migrants who won't return.

>No infrastructure bill.

But Israel is getting every single thing they want and it's all the news has been about for months. A foreign country's agenda comes before ours and nothing is being done.

"The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

"I don't think we'll fix it without rebellion or a coup, neither of which are likely to happen until the next major economic downturn/collapse."

I hope it don't come to widespread violence. But I agree that real change only comes with crisis. The impeachment of Dilma Rosself was only possible because of a huge economic crisis (growth of MINUS 3,7% in the first year of her second term and MINUS 3.6% of the second year of her second term)

I am still hopeful that Trump will manage to cross a couple of lines in your list till the end of his first term. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofista View Post
    "I don't think we'll fix it without rebellion or a coup, neither of which are likely to happen until the next major economic downturn/collapse."

I hope it don't come to widespread violence. But I agree that real change only comes with crisis. The impeachment of Dilma Rosself was only possible because of a huge economic crisis (growth of MINUS 3,7% in the first year of her second term and MINUS 3.6% of the second year of her second term)

I am still hopeful that Trump will manage to cross a couple of lines in your list till the end of his first term. We will see.
    I hope so too, but it's not looking that great at the moment. We have about 6 years before it all goes sideways demographically and it becomes electorally very unlikely for anyone right wing to win.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."