+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,981

    Red face Best way to cook a steak?

    I've decided to cook some steaks for myself today for my birthday. The thing is I'm not really that familiar with how. What way do you guys recommend?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    Good luck, cause I have no fucking clue. We aren't big steak eaters but youtube has a ton of videos for that. I've seen people using a cast iron for a sear on both sides and finishing in the oven. Usually coated in butter.

    Happy Birthday, you niggz.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,981

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    I wonder if I can buy a cast iron at Wal Mart...
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    Yes, for 18 dollars. But you gotta season it, which you need to look up. Not hard to do.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Saratoga, NY
    Posts
    1,036

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    So... a lot of it is trial and error with your specific equipment and the temperatures that they will generate.

    Essentially when grilling you want to flip that steak ONCE, twice if you really have to, but flip once and let it sear both sides sufficiently and then let the meat rest off the grill for another 3-5 minutes to cook the middle. This requires getting a feel for how a steak feels (how tender/solid it feels while cooking) the more solid it feels the more 'done' it is. If you like it WELL DONE then it should have very little give to it. If you do end up undercooking the steak (rare in the middle but achieved a sear on the outside..) it's still 'safe' to eat but you can have the oven on standby at around 400F to get the middle cooked up some more after about 3-5 minutes in the oven.

    The same theory applies to skillet cooking a steak. Use butter/oils to sear the outside and render the fat down, then put it in the oven to achieve desire middle temperature. Meat probes can assist in reaching the desired temp here.

    Also, MARINATE them bitches. I like to use oil and redwine vinegar and some heavy helping of montreal steak seasoning... this usually decreases cook times as the oil/vinegar replaces the water in the steak.

    Let me reiterate, ALWAYS let the meat rest to finish cooking the insides and allow the juices to settle. DON'T pierce the meat(and if you have to for a probe... be careful about it)! Stabbing it with a fork/knife to take it off the grill will allow all the juices to run out of it. The whole point of searing the outsides is to keep the moisture in the middle. This is why when cooking at home it is best to take the meat off earlier rather than later because with resting the meat will generally cook to the desired temp, but again this requires a lot of trial/error. On my grill at 400-500 I'd say a couple strip steaks should only take 10minutes if not less, you also need to keep an eye on the flames. Some grease/fat can drip down and create some additional fire that can end up charring your steak bad.

    And happy birthday ya filthy nig nog.
    Last edited by Pyrrhus; 06-10-2018 at 08:33 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,981

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    So... a lot of it is trial and error with your specific equipment and the temperatures that they will generate.

    Essentially when grilling you want to flip that steak ONCE, twice if you really have to, but flip once and let it sear both sides sufficiently and then let the meat rest off the grill for another 3-5 minutes to cook the middle. This requires getting a feel for how a steak feels (how tender/solid it feels while cooking) the more solid it feels the more 'done' it is. If you like it WELL DONE then it should have very little give to it. If you do end up undercooking the steak (rare in the middle but achieved a sear on the outside..) it's still 'safe' to eat but you can have the oven on standby at around 400F to get the middle cooked up some more after about 3-5 minutes in the oven.

    The same theory applies to skillet cooking a steak. Use butter/oils to sear the outside and render the fat down, then put it in the oven to achieve desire middle temperature. Meat probes can assist in reaching the desired temp here.

    Also, MARINATE them bitches. I like to use oil and redwine vinegar and some heavy helping of montreal steak seasoning... this usually decreases cook times as the oil/vinegar replaces the water in the steak.

    Let me reiterate, ALWAYS let the meat rest to finish cooking the insides and allow the juices to settle. DON'T pierce the meat(and if you have to for a probe... be careful about it)! Stabbing it with a fork/knife to take it off the grill will allow all the juices to run out of it. The whole point of searing the outsides is to keep the moisture in the middle. This is why when cooking at home it is best to take the meat off earlier rather than later because with resting the meat will generally cook to the desired temp, but again this requires a lot of trial/error. On my grill at 400-500 I'd say a couple strip steaks should only take 10minutes if not less, you also need to keep an eye on the flames. Some grease/fat can drip down and create some additional fire that can end up charring your steak bad.

    And happy birthday ya filthy nig nog.
    Do you think it makes a difference to use a regular pan versus a skillet?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Saratoga, NY
    Posts
    1,036

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    Cast Iron are much more oven friendly as well as generally being better at even cooking once it has achieved temperature.

    If the steak is only 1" or so thick then you really only need to get both sides seared up good and then let it rest and it -should- cook through the middle (to medium rare, maybe closer to rare) without needing the oven. Small steaks like that would only need the oven to cook the middle past Rare/MR, as continued searing would only burn it. Also if you're pan searing you want to attempt to render the fat (put the steak sideways to burn off/melt the fat as much as you're comfortable doing).

    Again a lot of trial and error... Each summer I probably grill 100+ steaks or 50 steak dinners and the first few I usually have to retrain myself to the timing of everything.

    Pan searing is a lot more difficult to get right, in my opinion but if you baste well with butter and maybe throw some sliced onions and minced garlic in there with the steak its... really good.

    This is usally what I am aiming for when I cook, maybe a little more sear on the edge but that's a perfect medium rare below:


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    You cant go wrong with brazillian churrasco:





    So, you massage the romp .... nice layer of fat ,.....so it gets soft..... (melts away!) ^^


    PS- I know it is not the same as doing stakes but hey, perhaps you get some new ideas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,981

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sofista View Post
    You cant go wrong with brazillian churrasco:





    So, you massage the romp .... nice layer of fat ,.....so it gets soft..... (melts away!) ^^


    PS- I know it is not the same as doing stakes but hey, perhaps you get some new ideas
    I've never had Brazilian food, but that looks delicious as hell. Its also way out of my ability to do, and I'd probably set my backyard on fire if I tried :P

    I bet the smell of that meat would give most men an orgasm.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    "...but that looks delicious as hell"

    It is! Never saw a meat lover get disappointed. Including foreigners.

    I can fix you some if you ever come south visiting!

    There are some places in the US, but they seem to be quite expensive so I am told:

    https://fogodechao.com/locations


    Esit: Ah yes, found it: Even Nassim Taleb (not sure if you guys know him) seemed to enjoy it:

    https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/927561393393602560
    Last edited by Sofista; 06-10-2018 at 10:07 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,981

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    This is the recipe I found that I'm going to try:

    https://therecipecritic.com/skillet-...-and-potatoes/
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

    "I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

  12. #12

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    I'm gonna be that guy again. I tried sus vide and I liked it...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q21O515OLxU

    These guys always use really rare steaks for their demonstrations and make me facepalm. There's no point there. If you want something on the rare end just let your (hopefully very fresh) meat get to room temp like it says in that recipe you linked, and then pan sear it. It'll be rare and awesome. Real talk, beef is fucking great all on it's own and mostly we idiots just fuck it up by cooking it cold like it's chicken tenders or some shit.

    But I like medium-well, and if you try for that you get this gradient through the meat with a lot of variation from the sear to the middle. Maybe some master chef with a custom grill who does two hundred steaks a day can make a perfect pic like you see on google where it's pink and cooked wall to wall but I'm not ashamed to say that I'll fuck it up. Sus vide makes it easy and consistent. I think I do like 145? Nice pink-but-cooked all the way through, then sear real good real fast.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    Vk, imma have to hurt that guy in the video you posted.

    Chewing with his mouth open.

    And he looks faggy.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    Vk, imma have to hurt that guy in the video you posted.

    Chewing with his mouth open.

    And he looks faggy.
    Maybe he only eats steak and Soy.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  15. #15

    Default Re: Best way to cook a steak?

    I just realized they don't add salt and pepper in that video. IDK why. I always do that and they do in their other videos.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3d4Mlk8O9g
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts