+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuck you, Math.

Default Fuck you, Math.

So I'm going through a course reviewing "fundamental" math before "advancing" to learn some new stuff. Here are some fun things I've bumped into so far.

X0=1.

Whaaaaat? Yeah. Chew on that for a second. Just like the number 3 is really "positive three" and the positive is implied without being written, 3X3 is actually 3 * X * X *X, which is to say that X to the power of 3 represents three instances of X with a multiplicative relationship to the 3 or "*X". If you just write X3 then there's an implied 1, followed by three instances of "* X" or 1 * X * X * X. So X0 is really 1 followed by ZERO instances of "* X", leaving you with just a lonely, invisible, implied 1. Yes, contrary to that old song that's now stuck in your head, one is not the lonliest number. X0 is the loneliest number.

Also, could you calculate 91/2?

I went through a whole section about the rules of exponents. Went just fine, except for me confusing myself fucking up reading the SUPER TINY SUPERSCRIPT EQUATIONS, but that was my own fault. Once I fixed my type-o's and misreads it worked out. But then the next section was square roots / radicals, and it started right off with √9 = 3 = 91/2. But how TF do I even do that? Doesn't say... In all my coursework and all the tutorials I google, bitches just say "of course we know the square root of this easy ass problem is this number..." and move on. There was nothing about fractional exponents in the exponents section.

Went to r/askmath and clicked around. Found someone with a much more advanced issue, but in their question example they did one of these. The way you calculate fractional exponents is to do the power of the numerator, so 91/2 step one would be 9*1 = 9, then you root it to the degree of the denominator so 2√9 (which is just √9, all blank square roots are actually an implied 2√). Which is why the section on roots/radicals started with the explanation that √9 = 3 = 91/2. It didn't say so explicitly, but you need roots to calculate fractional exponents.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 06-19-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Default Re: Fuck you, Math.

Nigger, we need to get you a girlfriend. Also, it's been a long fucking time but I'm pretty sure fraction exponents are just another way of writing the square root of something out. For instance the 4 to the 1/2 power is really just the square root of four. 4 to the 1/3 power is the cube root of 4 and so on.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Nigger, we need to get you a girlfriend. Also, it's been a long fucking time but I'm pretty sure fraction exponents are just another way of writing the square root of something out. For instance the 4 to the 1/2 power is really just the square root of four. 4 to the 1/3 power is the cube root of 4 and so on.
    Yeah, that's where the radicals/root section started. But it started right after the exponents sections so when I read that I thought I was supposed to know how to calculate the exponent 41/3 to find the root. You know, building on what was already learned... but it's the other way around... you would solve 41/3 by doing 3√(4*1). Also, apparently calculating square roots is more advanced than I expected so putting a pin in that for now and just using the calculator.

EDIT--fixed copy/paste errors.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 06-19-2018 at 08:17 PM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Yeah, that's where the radicals/root section started. But it started right after the exponents sections so when I read that I thought I was supposed to know how to calculate 41/3 to find the root. You know, building on what was already learned... but it's the other way around. Also, apparently calculating square roots is more advanced than I realized so... put a pin in that for now...
    I for one, wouldn't try that shit without a calculator. You should by pass all that algebra trig shit and do some courses on statistics and/or calc. It's just my opinion of course, but the theoretical aspects of those two disciplines are just way more fun for me. I never took a calculus class until college, and I loved it so much I really thought about changing my major. Shit is dope.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

I for one, wouldn't try that shit without a calculator. You should by pass all that algebra trig shit and do some courses on statistics and/or calc. It's just my opinion of course, but the theoretical aspects of those two disciplines are just way more fun for me. I never took a calculus class until college, and I loved it so much I really thought about changing my major. Shit is dope.
    Yeah that's where I'm going. I was doing advanced algebra in high school but I was a delinquent and did everything the lazy way, then did no significant math for anything for like 15 years. Now I'm trying to do business data analysis in real time to direct a management hierarchy in real time, and I'm doing it using software that's new to me as well. Trying to catch up my math on my days off to make things a little easier.

I want to learn statistics and trig, so I'm binging fundamentals -> algebra -> starting trig this week. Cruising right through fundamentals and I remember more about algebra than I did fundamentals, I'm thinking about algebra the whole time. I had to stop myself cheating with simplifying equations on the exponents part and use the actual exponent rules. So I think algebra will go quick and I can start Trig some time tomorrow night.

What software are you using? SPSS?

What software are you using? SPSS?
    SAP -> BI / WEBI -> Excel.

Support people set up SQL "models" so I can make ad hoc queries of SAP by selecting what I want to pull in BI / WEBI.

WEBI is a steaming pile of shit, so mostly we just make giant tables that are nothing but columns to put in Excel and pivot table/chart them. I spent Monday going over Excel courses to try and improve but it was mostly a waste of time. Apparently I'm expert level with Excel because every "beginner to expert" tutorial I could find could learn a thing or two from me... Which is sad because I feel like my use of it is simplistic. Like 99% of what I do is pivots and VLOOKUP.

But there's a bunch of people doing all that with big dashboards and such that eat up resources and they only want them run like every hour. I also want to get into SWIFT coding for apple devices. + Our management has company cell phones which are apple. = I think I might go the opposite direction with it. Make little bite sized queries that can run really often and no one will care, and send them to a phone app like a little ticker of the productivity of people in their department, or amount of work coming in vs amount going out. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 06-19-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Went to r/askmath and clicked around. Found someone with a much more advanced issue, but in their question example they did one of these. The way you calculate fractional exponents is to do the power of the numerator, so 91/2 step one would be 9*1 = 9, then you root it to the degree of the denominator so 2√9 (which is just √9, all blank square roots are actually an implied 2√). Which is why the section on roots/radicals started with the explanation that √9 = 3 = 91/2. It didn't say so explicitly, but you need roots to calculate fractional exponents.
    Correction: 91/2 would be 2√91, not 2√(9*1). This matters when the number is not 1.

Why has no one posted the autistic screeching meme in here yet?

I'm more surprised Marou hasn't posted in here, he deals with math all day.

Edit:

Asked him and it is because he deals with math all day. I don't know if he is special ot if it does this to all people but it makes him very derpy. I can't count how many times he has rambled code in his sleep.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 06-21-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

If you fatties can blog about diets and weight lifting, then I'm allowed to blog about my suddenly wanting to learn shit instead of play video games.

Hell, since I'm also getting a gun I might as well just learn guitar and trade in my car for a motorcycle to complete the mid-life crisis starter pack.

Whoa now donkey burrito man. You are allowed to blog about it, still autistic tho.

And you are far too young to be having a mid-life crisis but if you are going to go that far, might I suggest leather chaps, a beard braided down to your chest and this as your backpack. Cause it would be awesome.

Should have a general do shit/learn stuff thread by now.

Anyways, still good to be learning things, better than learning nothing.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

I've always loved math, and dont' mind talking about it. But maybe thats why I graduated from college with Magnum Cum loads.

Also, you should get a unicycle and fannypack to go with your shotgun. I guarantee no one in their right mind would fuck with you.

Beard pack on my fanny, riding unidonkey which is chasing a burrito on string, autistic shotgun -...590 shockwave w/laser on top?- and go to Zavon's college while I'm not of my right mind, due to magnum cum loads.

Got it.

Beard pack on my fanny, riding unidonkey which is chasing a burrito on string, autistic shotgun -...590 shockwave w/laser on top?- and go to Zavon's college while I'm not of my right mind, due to magnum cum loads.

Got it.
    Nigga, you fixin' be unstoppables.