+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Doing the smart things and getting advice on the internet.......

So long story short I've run out of patience with several members of my family. Like body slammed one of them about 3 times until he was bleeding out of his eye socket, and cursed another one out. I've got too many of those "it's different when my kids do it" type moms, those "it's always somebody else's fault or responsibilty" types, etc. High school diploma/GED wielding dumbasses that think they're overloaded with common sense. The "my kids don't play video games or watch TV because that makes them bad" as she picks them up at alternative school types.

Anyways, through some shit it's gotten to the point where one of the family members refuses to be in my prescense. I'm at that point where I refuse to make nice at any expense to myself. I've always been seen as the sibling/child/cousin whatever that is supposed to be expendable because I've apparently lived this charmed life when the truth is I've just had enough sense to not do stupid shit and every bit of chaos and turmoil I've had to deal with has been because of the shit other people keep getting in to.

I guess I'm just ranting, BUT have any of you had falling outside with family? How did you deal with it, how firmly did you stand your ground? How much or long should you be willing to compromise before you say enough is enough?
    Last edited by Sillywilly; 11-10-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Default Re: Doing the smart things and getting advice on the internet.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    So long story short I've run out of patience with several members of my family. Like body slammed one of them about 3 times until he was bleeding out of his eye socket, and cursed another one out. I've got too many of those "it's different when my kids do it" type moms, those "it's always somebody else's fault or responsibilty" types, etc. High school diploma/GED wielding dumbasses that think they're overloaded with common sense. The "my kids don't play video games or watch TV because that makes them bad" as she picks them up at alternative school types.

Anyways, through some shit it's gotten to the point where one of the family members refuses to be in my prescense. I'm at that point where I refuse to make nice at any expense to myself. I've always been seen as the sibling/child/cousin whatever that is supposed to be expendable because I've apparently lived this charmed life when the truth is I've just had enough sense to not do stupid shit and every bit of chaos and turmoil I've had to deal with has been because of the shit other people keep getting in to.

I guess I'm just ranting, BUT have any of you had falling outside with family? How did you deal with it, how firmly did you stand your ground? How much or long should you be willing to compromise before you say enough is enough?
    My family has been "estranged" from our extended family for a good 25 years. Within the immediate family my closest sister (in age), is usually the one being retarded. I have no patience for it and have made this abundantly clear over the years, so she usually just spares me her bullshit at this point - she knows I will just hang up on her.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Been estranged from one side of my family for 20 years. Reconnected to one of them a few years ago for a while and then noped back out. Already gotta deal with my own crazy, ain't got time for anyone eles.

Its your life, you don't ever have to put up with them. Love/family does not = dealing with their bullshit.

I remember people telling me when I was young that I would become more tolerant and patient with age. I am assuming at this point they mean when I'm dead because any tolerance/patience I once had is gone and I've been possessed by a honey badger, with how much fucks I have left to give and that extends to everyone, including family.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    Been estranged from one side of my family for 20 years. Reconnected to one of them a few years ago for a while and then noped back out. Already gotta deal with my own crazy, ain't got time for anyone eles.

Its your life, you don't ever have to put up with them. Love/family does not = dealing with their bullshit.

I remember people telling me when I was young that I would become more tolerant and patient with age. I am assuming at this point they mean when I'm dead because any tolerance/patience I once had is gone and I've been possessed by a honey badger, with how much fucks I have left to give and that extends to everyone, including family.

Yeah see that's the way I am. I'm losing my patience as I get older. I'm just tired of the bullshit. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not butting g I to their business. It's when they butt into mine or start stirring up shit that will affect me that I lose my chill. I've got some family members that are that kind of like IQ dipshit dumb that makes my skin crawl.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Yeah see that's the way I am. I'm losing my patience as I get older. I'm just tired of the bullshit. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not butting g I to their business. It's when they butt into mine or start stirring up shit that will affect me that I lose my chill. I've got some family members that are that kind of like IQ dipshit dumb that makes my skin crawl.
    Then don't deal with them. Unless you are forced to interact because of some family function (to which I say ignore them at said function), putting unnecessary drama in your life isn't worth it. Family is what you make it and doesn't have to include blood. From what I can recall, you were raised in the south which I feel often puts too heavy a burden on people (old school southern), telling them blood is above all else and you gotta deal with their shit. Fuck that. If you couldn't tolerate them as a friend, why does anyone have to just because you are related?
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

I'm probably the black sheep of my family, but my 'branch' of both my parents families was already a very small/new bud compared to the rest.

ALL of my fathers relatives live pretty much exclusively in Norway, as his father(my grandfarther) emigrated from there estranging himself from his family. They're both dead now, so I have pretty much 0 ties, I have one second cousin on FB and some of his family, and we occasionally comment on each others stuff I guess.

My mothers was the youngest of 6 in a baby boomer family and all my cousins in that regard are at least a decade older than I, some of them are two decades, so not very relatable and mostly spread throughout the country.

With my father dead that leaves my sister and mother in my immediate family, both of whom I speak to a handful of times a month. So to answer your question, yes?