+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Atlas

Default Atlas

Did anyone get this? The initial reviews were horrendous but I had heard early patches went well and I was bored so I tried it.

Ships are a neat addition to the survival genre because your ship is automatically your territory to build on. You don't need to find some perfect spot to set up, you just operate out of your ship. They can do noob island non-PvP safe zones (with a low max level so people can't just live there) thanks to this as well. No one can build or place anything but a campfire in the whole noobie area so to store stuff or whatever else, you're naturally driven towards a raft or sloop so you can put down boxes, crafting stations and a bed there on the deck of your ship.

At first I didn't get how to move the ships around and I was worried it was overly complicated. I first used a raft that had no rudder (or I didn't know how to use it?) and basically seemed to be at the mercy of the wind direction. Once I got my sloop and clicked the steering wheel though everything made sense. I aligned the sails with the wind direction and used the rudder to adjust direction of movement... and it felt awesome... reminded me of the first time I got travel powers on City of Heroes except better. This alone will keep me playing this for a while.

The food is weirdly complicated. Vegetable, Meat, Fruit and Fish are all separate "vitamin" bars, plus you have a hunger state. When you get hungry you can't just eat whatever. If you try to live on fruit you'll get... fruit poisoning?... seriously. You have to keep all four vitamin bars within an acceptable range. Too low and you die, too high and you're poisoned (=you die slowly with your vision fucked up). You can't even over eat, that also kills you. Hasn't been a problem so far. Mostly I have problems with fresh water, not food.

Temperature is a thing but not a big deal in temperate / tropical areas. Temparate will get cold enough at the coldest part of the night to kill you in noobie clothes if you're soaking wet. Tropical will get hot enough to kill you naked at the top of the day, but obviously it's not hard to find water to jump in usually. There are polar areas though where obviously you need some solution to the cold problem.

Combat feels like total ass. I'm definitely going archery->guns because fuck trying to melee with this wonky ass combat system.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Default Re: Atlas

All I know is that this game was supposedly a literal reskin of Ark. There was even a LivestreamFail video of some guy finding some Ark options 'hidden' in the options menu.

Welp... apparently the starter area has massively increased decay rate...

Spent a few hours last night setting up a new sloop as a home/storage space. I knew there was some kind of decay. There always is with games like this. Left it at 100%, logged on before work after maybe nine hours offline, intending to repair and top it off. Totally gone already. Bits of wood floating around my character who logged in floating in the middle of the bay. Damnit.

Made a checklist of stuff to set off with. Now that I know what I'm doing, what to look for and where to find it I can get it all in about an hour. Skills will hopefully make that faster. Then as a last step encumber myself with enough wood to make the sloop and log out by the NPC who sells them. Wait to actually make the boat until I have some time to play.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I am pleasantly surprised at the depth of PvE content.

At first I was considering this a PvP-or-what's-the-point kind of game but it's a lot more like Age of Conan, except with more wonky combat. PvP, going well or going badly, feels like an unwelcome distraction so I'm just going to play PvE servers for a bit.

Can't respawn on your own boat... wow... that one thing just murdered this whole game for me.

Took me a few deaths to figure out what was going on because I could spawn at the bed on my boat in the new player area but the mechanic outside noobie zones is that you can only spawn in territory you or your company (guild) has claimed. True even on PvE servers. You can't even "claim" a spot at sea to anchor because your boat will get rekt by cyclones and PvE enemies while offline. I have absolutely no desire to play this at all now. The entire concept of what this game is just fell apart in my mind and it's purely a shittier Conan Exiles with nice boats.

Oh well. Here's hoping Conan Exiles adds nice boats.

EDIT--
    Okay, so it turns out you can respawn on your boat if you're way out to sea in unclaimed areas, but that's useless. What are you going to do? Launch a dingy to get to shore, go die, respawn... and... fuck off back to your base because you don't have another dingy? Risk your whole ship trying to get back the gear you had on? Just doesn't work.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 01-22-2019 at 12:16 AM.

I'm convinced the 'professional gamer(streamer)' crowd is ruining games due to how developers are skewing their game design/theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    I'm convinced the 'professional gamer(streamer)' crowd is ruining games due to how developers are skewing their game design/theory.
    I think you might be on to something here.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    How so?

Seems like games have been designed around small groups, transitioning to some degree of larger grouping for raids at end game. Streamers are just playing as people who can really reliably get groups, but at the same time they create a social sphere that makes it easier for lots of other people to find groups as well.

I don't blame streamers for Atlas. I think if they restricted cannons to something like a "cannon frame" which could only be placed on ships at gun ports and didn't restrict spawning, suddenly ships would be useful as bases and the meta wouldn't be to use up all their weight on guns. It had to be a design choice to make them disposable cannon bags you couldn't spawn on, and it was a stupid design decision regardless of if you stream it or not. Hardpoints motherfucker. Do you program them?

At least that's how I see it right now. If I'm going to rag on streamers it's for accepting the premise and loving a "pirate themed survival game" where they run around in full paladin plate mail, carrying 1,000lb's of shit in their pockets, using batman grapping hooks and climbing picks and fighting fantasy skeletons, riding around in disposable retarded cartoon ships with a hundred guns pointed in every direction.

I know the hardcore gamers have always existed that play 24/7 and those that have a core guild of people who do the same, but streamers tend to bring an army of followers with them to many games they play in just the same manner, but I feel like it's more.

This creates an artificial inflation of access to materials/etc that game designers need to plan for to limit growth speed and curb bad behavior even further as a large group of players could quickly overrun entire servers?

Then there is the whole 'free publicity' and getting streamers involved in 'betas' when they shouldn't be as they have low interest in actually testing things. It's just reality TV for gamers, aka trash TV.

Guess I'm just hating on them.

I think they did a great job with influencer marketing, aka give money to streamers to play the game. The only problem is their game couldn't handle the influx of players and it all backfired. Turned a lot of people cold right then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishida View Post
    I think they did a great job with influencer marketing, aka give money to streamers to play the game. The only problem is their game couldn't handle the influx of players and it all backfired. Turned a lot of people cold right then and there.
    I wonder what the age range is for influencer marketing. Because as a near 40 yo man, I find twitch very off putting. It just seems strange.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    I wonder what the age range is for influencer marketing. Because as a near 40 yo man, I find twitch very off putting. It just seems strange.
    There are a few people that can be entertaining on twitch, but it's not the sort of thing you actively watch. It's more like background noise on while you work or do something else. Occasionally glance over at it.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    There are a few people that can be entertaining on twitch, but it's not the sort of thing you actively watch. It's more like background noise on while you work or do something else. Occasionally glance over at it.
    But like you ever bought a game because a twitch dude played it? I like youtubes more than twitch so I can skip shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    But like you ever bought a game because a twitch dude played it? I like youtubes more than twitch so I can skip shit.
    Nah, I haven't. Then again I'm a poor case study - I haven't even seen advertisements in their natural setting in more than a decade.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Yeah I actively avoid advertising too.