+ Reply to Thread

Default Game Recommendations

I've got a bad habit of not finishing a lot of games I buy, even if I am enjoying them (looking at you Dragon Quest 11). So it takes a REALLY FANTASTICALLY good game for me to complete it. I figured I could share some gems that I feel like most people should try and maybe get some in return.

Danganronpa

I own but have not played the third one yet simply because these are not exactly happy. Besides for some of Squares games, these are the only ones that have really hit me hard. Not only do they rope in you emotionally, they make you think with the game play elements and are not something you can play idly while you do something else. They are a visual novel with the story revolving around murder, mystery, finding out who done it and going through trials and sending people to their death. I was at first unsure of it because its always a bunch of high schoolers but I quickly got over it because its not a typical game. I am not sure I could properly put into words how much I love these games, how they punched me in the gut with feels and how different they are.

I finished 1 and 2 back to back very quickly and had to step away because after 2 (my favorite out of them so far, need play them in order) I had to hug puppies and kittens after the mood in put me in, which is why, as stated, I've not done 3 yet. I totally suck at explaining shit, the steam reviews will have way better people doing it than I can but y'alls need to get these. Seriously, top 5 of anything I've played in the last 10 years.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Default Re: Game Recommendations

I have the same issue. The older I get the harder it is for me to finish a damn game. One exception is the shadowrun returns games. I always finish those duckers.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    I have the same issue. The older I get the harder it is for me to finish a damn game. One exception is the shadowrun returns games. I always finish those duckers.
    I wonder if they will do another, their last game, that mecha one, BOOO. Bored the shit out of me and couldn't get past 30 minutes played.

I also did not finish the last Shadowrun game because at the very end of the story, my game files corrupted and I lost everything. Was so angry I haven't been able to go back.

Watch a bit of gameplay on Danganronpa, you love reading, so I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy visual novels.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    I wonder if they will do another, their last game, that mecha one, BOOO. Bored the shit out of me and couldn't get past 30 minutes played.

I also did not finish the last Shadowrun game because at the very end of the story, my game files corrupted and I lost everything. Was so angry I haven't been able to go back.

Watch a bit of gameplay on Danganronpa, you love reading, so I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy visual novels.
    I looked at it. I knew instantly it is the type of game my wife would enjoy.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Nobody got nothing else? Why do things get less enjoyable as we get older?

I'd like to see more card and board games come to pc or even co-op ones. How much more fun would Pathfinder be if you could play with someone else?

Is there even a game coming out this year y'all looking forward to?

Nobody got nothing else? Why do things get less enjoyable as we get older?

I'd like to see more card and board games come to pc or even co-op ones. How much more fun would Pathfinder be if you could play with someone else?

Is there even a game coming out this year y'all looking forward to?
    Speaking of which, I really want to get my hands on "Slay The Spire" but I'm waiting till it goes on sale on steam.

I been playing Fallout 4, and the new turned based mode of pillars 2.

Nobody got nothing else?
    I got a taste of Anthem and then had to work like non-stop for three weeks, 12hr+ days, like one day off that got crammed with stuff like doing laundry of everything I own and shopping and sleeping. I just got back to a normal schedule and haven't burned out on Anthem yet. Haven't thought about other games in a month really.

Why do things get less enjoyable as we get older?
    I kinda miss people. Which is weird to have to type. I don't think of myself as a social gamer. I don't really want to be the guild-person and know 10,000 internet friends and be in some voice chat the whole time. But I played Destiny 2 for a solid year and didn't add one person to a friends list... Something changed since my counter-strike days when I would make 2-3 friends a night just typing short sentences during the <10sec buy time at the start of the rounds and bantering after dying.

WF was such a bad setup for chat. Destiny 2 has no local chat (they added one but it's opt-in and no one knows so the channel is always dead) and Anthem group chat is mic-only, which I think everyone has turned off because I'm the only person who ever reacts when someone speaks on the mic.

I don't want to play second life or join a raid guild on WoW with a schedule like it's my second job, but I shouldn't spend my whole day off playing an online game and not feel like I met anyone. That's a creepy feeling. I used to make fun of early minecraft people who spent all day and all night alone in some offline space making something almost no one would see. Everything feels like that now, even though I'm forced to be online to play it in the same session as 1-3 other people.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 03-12-2019 at 03:24 AM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

First, /hug from us to you.

I think it would be cool if we had a game we all played together once a month/bi-weekly but what, I have no idea. I feel like it is harder to meet people because most games have a lot more communities way younger than us. We aren't old but nor are we 22 and I find it near impossible to communicate with someone that young. We are all either early 30's or almost 40 and I do believe it makes a big difference.

You should give SC a go again. Not only does it have a pretty good community, it on average is people our age. I can't think of anything similar to it. 3.5 is almost here, you should play with us when it comes out.

I would be down for playing something like Grim Dawn with you guys too.

Anthem still holding me. I wish the Storm had more options for being a caster. If you stack damage and such the cooldowns are just way too long to compete with guns for all but one, single, solitary spell. The only reason you see them using multiple is there's a masterwork version of a commonly used augment that gives +60% damage to that one spell's slot if the OTHER spell is on CD. So that's basically your build. What other thing do I want to keep on CD to get my +60%. Maybe later with more CDR or different bonuses things will open up.

I didn't mind Grim Dawn this time. I was pretty lost trying to keep up with you guys and your guns but I'll play around a bit solo and look at stats/builds so I'm a little more present next time.

Watching for SC 3.5 and will be building a new PC in the next few weeks. Once that's live, if that's the final flight model, I'm going to play the shit out of it in my free time to hopefully git gud with the Cutlass Black and Hawk. I moved my store credit around so I have an upgrade (not used yet, so I can melt it if need be) to make one of my LTI NOX bikes into that new Corsair from Drake. Dakka, cargo and exploratory stuff, nice minimal step up from the Cutlass Black.

Seikiro SDT is a souls game. I know it's made by the same people but I'm not saying it's LIKE dark souls. It literally is a souls game. The controls, the feel, the movement, even the animations of ninja and samurai are somehow totally Dark Souls timed and styled. Enemies still weirdly allow you finish deathblows and don't hit you, making fighting multiple opponents possible. There are some mechanics differences but they're all clearly evolutions from previous souls games. Players liked backstab and riposte so they just made that standard combat and gave bosses "X deathblows to kill" lifebars. I could do without ninja jumping, ledge climbing and grappling hook sections that make me hit a fuckton of buttons just to "go over there" but it's not badly done and doesn't bother me so far.
    Like you guys said though, I'm feeling my age on this one for the first time. Mobs do different kinds of power attacks, it warns you with a symbol (same for all types just a generic "IMMA GONNA DO A BIG ATTACK" symbol) and you have to react differently for different types. Jump/block/dodge vs sweep/thrust/grab attacks. I'm finding that really hard. At first I kinda whined about it but then I checked myself because dark souls mobs did the same stuff and they didn't warn me first. Maybe my mistake is watching for the warning instead of watching the mob. Might even try to turn that off.
    Didn't play much yet, probably won't play more for a while, but I'm keeping it installed.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    I got a taste of Anthem and then had to work like non-stop for three weeks, 12hr+ days, like one day off that got crammed with stuff like doing laundry of everything I own and shopping and sleeping. I just got back to a normal schedule and haven't burned out on Anthem yet. Haven't thought about other games in a month really.

I kinda miss people. Which is weird to have to type. I don't think of myself as a social gamer. I don't really want to be the guild-person and know 10,000 internet friends and be in some voice chat the whole time. But I played Destiny 2 for a solid year and didn't add one person to a friends list... Something changed since my counter-strike days when I would make 2-3 friends a night just typing short sentences during the <10sec buy time at the start of the rounds and bantering after dying.

WF was such a bad setup for chat. Destiny 2 has no local chat (they added one but it's opt-in and no one knows so the channel is always dead) and Anthem group chat is mic-only, which I think everyone has turned off because I'm the only person who ever reacts when someone speaks on the mic.

I don't want to play second life or join a raid guild on WoW with a schedule like it's my second job, but I shouldn't spend my whole day off playing an online game and not feel like I met anyone. That's a creepy feeling. I used to make fun of early minecraft people who spent all day and all night alone in some offline space making something almost no one would see. Everything feels like that now, even though I'm forced to be online to play it in the same session as 1-3 other people.
    Man this post struck a chord with me. I probably made more friends in DAoC than I've made in every MMO/game I've played since then. Like literally. At one time I had a guild with 30 people not because we just formed up a guild but because a big group of us found out we had so many mutual friends that we may as well be in a guild together for communication purposes.

I can't do that today. The quality of the population just isn't there anymore. Granted people always retort with "you didn't experience PvP in UO". Well no I didn't. I played UO quite a bit but just never got ganked or at least not on a regular basis.

I can remember when the typical MMO population was in direct contrast to battle.net. Me taking a chance on letting a complete stranger hold like 2 gold and some junk for me to transfer from one character to another in DAoC and then having that person not only still be there when I logged back in but giving me like 10 gold in addition to my 2 just to be nice.

IMO the MMO population is still hands down better than typical FPS/etc but it's not where it used to be. I haven't made any new friends online in so long.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Destiny 2 on sale right now for 29.99 on blizzard app. I bought that fucker.