+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eve Online

Default Eve Online

Does anyone else here play this? I haven't seen a single person as much as mention it, but I've finally gotten around to playing it and it's quite magnificent. Takes a little while to learn everything, but ever since the sheer potential and openness of it all hit me, I'm not sure I could ever play something as restrictive as WoW/DAoC/EQ etc. ever again.

Default Re: Eve Online

I don't know how much it changed, but I gave it a go a few years back.

I got raped repeatedly.

Then found that I would have to pay a subscription fee as I wait weeks for my skills to train up in order to be able to pilot a ship that would have a remote chance of allowing me to survive.

So I quit.

I think back in the day someone from old cats was big into it, I remember they gave me a bunch of cash. I want to say Nester.

It's a fantastic game and the only one doing something different with MMOs. It's also highly dependent on networking, i.e. finding people in game to watch your back. You don't actually have to wait weeks to be useful, as Norska said, because a decent corporation can always use weenie tackler ships or simple eWar-rigged frigates. It's sort of a giant misconception that you need all these skills to be remotely useful. In less than a month, I had a kitted out Assault Frigate and was solo pirating miners in "my sector." It's an even bigger misconception that there's a class of ship that'll give you a "fair chance." EVE is built on unfair fights and there's always something out there that can beat you.

Unfortunately, the somewhat realistic take on space (the universe is huge, cold, and feels very empty) combined with the lack of a personal avatar and deep combat mechanics turns most people away. It's damn near impossible to get friends to join you.

I guess I shouldn't be asking if I can roll a dwarf here.

Norska summed it up nicely.

The game IS amazing, seriously.

.. However.. the fact you train "in real time" means the guy who sits on his account and never "playing" for a year+ is going to murder you who has been playing 24/7 for 3 months.

He sets his points, walks away.. comes back in 20 days when its trained, sets next points.. walks away repeat.

It was like this when i last tried maybe 3 years ago.

The game itself is wtfmind blown though, politics, economics, etc. The players literally RUN the game its amazing to me.

However starting off as a new player was boring as shit and i didn't like getting murders from a guy who never played but who has has an active Sub account longer.

I've only been playing for a couple of weeks, but nothing mentioned so far has been as issue for me. I suppose I'm lucky in that the guys I've been playing other games with for years have a corp I could join, though all the help I've had from them consists entirely of information and 10mil ISK.

I haven't really touched PvP myself, but from what I know of it Ero's got it right. In group PvP you don't need a huge ship or elaborate equipment, and in solo PvP there's enough of a skill element (as in talent, not skillbooks) and a rock>paper>scissors dynamic that you don't need to be on the same level as your opponent in terms of time trained to stand a chance.

As far as everything else goes, you don't need level 5 skills to compete. I've been exploring for the past week (archaeology/hacking/salvaging) and making millions, having learnt all the skills I needed to do so in a couple of days. I'm using a cheap, defenseless ship with pathetic survivability, yet I'm averaging less than one ship lost a day in low and null security systems. If it weren't for me deciding to learn all the learning skills at once, I could already have a tech 2 covops ship too, I think...

Additionally, they keep adding content for free (similar to CoH), so those veterans who've trained for years are on par with the newbies when a new skill/career gets added (Planetary Interaction got released in the past month).

It's true that it's very cruel and unforgiving though. It's understandable that that would turn you off.