+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Showing Off What the Portuguese Do in Indian Ocean

After talking about a lot of production, I want to say "you don't have to produce things to make money.
    In this post I show you what the daily business the Portuguese players do. It's mostly about observing the prices, just like what the beginner school has taught.
    Seeing gold has a good buying price.

Find a port to sell it.

See an even better price in the next round

Goa to Diu route has huge opportunity. this is not a particularly good actually

I realized that more Jasmine is better in the next round

From Diu to Goa is not just about velvet. ambergris is for the opportunist (this is the old time before I get the aide ship)

More common business the transporting Jasmine to East Africa. I very stable everyday route:
    Last edited by LysChien; 09-14-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Default Re: Showing Off What the Portuguese Do in Indian Ocean

What is the advantage of Portuguese players in India? Goa the colony? Why is that an Advantage? The last one is about combo specialties?

Goa is Portuguese territory. Goa has Jasmine, Tyrian and Ruby, and the Fabric Price in Goa does not collapse when you sell velvets. No other players will sell velvets in Goa (huge tax), so unlikely they will do sewing in Diu. Diu ends up being a clear Portuguese allied port.
    the players of the other countries can buy Jasmine, Tyrian and Ruby too for sure. But they buy a little fewer and a little more expensive, plus they can haggle only once in Goa. These add up huge margin as a Portuguese advantage in Indian Ocean.
    Portuguese normally control all ports of eastern africa and western india. Since only they have the incentive the invest, the others can not utilize them to the same level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Senesino View Post
    What is the advantage of Portuguese players in India? Goa the colony? Why is that an Advantage? The last one is about combo specialties?

Ah, that clears it up thanks.

But if other countries try this route will it still be profitable? Granted we wont get as much but could it be instead of 6mil example mybe 4 mil instead? Because if that is so I will take 4 million as English. If not damn now I am torn again between going English or Portuguese thanks Ly :_(.
    "War needs no reason for War is the reason." Tempus Lord Of Battles
    "Its only hubris if I fail." Julius Ceasar
    "Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche
    "A hero is born among a hundred, a wise man is found among a thousand, but an accomplished one might not be found even among a hundred thousand men." Plato
    “The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” Dante Alighieri quote

hahaha! my purpose is to seduce more to Portugual.....
    Other people will make much less doing the same thing. but they have something else to do for sure.
    I don't think other nations have better trading routes. I played England and Spain too. I think Spain is fairly comparable. England is less rich on trading, but I found diamond not a bad commodity for England.

Quote Originally Posted by demiclise View Post
    But if other countries try this route will it still be profitable? Granted we wont get as much but could it be instead of 6mil example mybe 4 mil instead? Because if that is so I will take 4 million as English. If not damn now I am torn again between going English or Portuguese thanks Ly :_(.

Well now I feel like an arse if I knew this I wouldnt have declared going English. With the mass amount of money I can earn doing this I dont need to spec English I can just buy the mats and eat the cost. Ah well thats ok I never played Portugal so the story would be interesting to see unfold. Now Jasmine and Ambergis is what Perfume or Medicine? So a good trade route would be Buy Gold From Mongadishu sell in Goa Buy Jasmine and velvet in Goa sell in Diu buy Ambergis in Diu then sail to Goa trade buy Jasmine unload in Mongadishu and rinse/repeat? Also may sound like noob question I assume you did the tickets for that much cargo or did u sail around land go back buy more way?
    "Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche
    "A hero is born among a hundred, a wise man is found among a thousand, but an accomplished one might not be found even among a hundred thousand men." Plato
    “The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” Dante Alighieri quote

not that simple and repetitive. You need to watch the prices of many stuff in many ports. There'll be a network where people exchanges the prices they see.

Uh, nice profit, I will rush for the permit to India and make 'some' money

Wow, what a big profit !!!
    By looking at picture i have some question:
    1) What the meaning of: " clipper with aide ship large galleon" ?
    2) With your knowlege in price. Do u know the duration of "observing price" ? i know it fluctuate, but for how long ? few minute? or 1 day from the time i log in until i say good night ?
    3) Any good trade at South american ? i never see anyone talking about that route. But by looking at the table u show us, i think must be something profitable over there.

Thanks a lot to show us how rich can be at end game

Oh my......... Woow What a profit.
    "He who controls the Past controls the Future, and He who controls the Present controls the Past"

thank you for your questions.
    large clipper is the level 64 ship.
    aide is the assistant you hire in the taverns of the cities with guilds. you can have an aide captain who has a ship and follows you all the time in the see (in the new release, not sure it is already loaded in the current english version, but i am sure it is coming soon). the aide has to be of total level 90, which is not so easy actually.
    the price matter is complicated. I'll explain later.
    Quote Originally Posted by takuma View Post
    Wow, what a big profit !!!
    By looking at picture i have some question:
    1) What the meaning of: " clipper with aide ship large galleon" ?
    2) With your knowlege in price. Do u know the duration of "observing price" ? i know it fluctuate, but for how long ? few minute? or 1 day from the time i log in until i say good night ?
    3) Any good trade at South american ? i never see anyone talking about that route. But by looking at the table u show us, i think must be something profitable over there.

Thanks a lot to show us how rich can be at end game

When you become a professional merchant you can work with other merchants (preferably from the same guild/nation) to control price fluctuations.

Usually the first step is to have one of each 'trade item' in your cargo to observe the prices in the market
    Second step is to scout out the port buying the commodity for the highest price
    Third step involves 'protecting' the port from price drop.
    When you make huge profits selling one type of product, it can cause the selling price of that product to dramatically fall. I believe the profit anywhere between 500,000D to 1,000,000D will cause the price to drop dramatically.
    To ensure that you will make sustained profits overtime, you have to 'protect' that port.
    In UWO, when prices of one type of trade product rises or falls dramatically, it will prevent dramatic price fluctuations in other types of commodity for around 4 hours. So before the merchants start to trade the desired items, they can use another type of highly profitable trade good to artifically create a price drop.
    For example, if you want to trade in Gold, you can use Firearms to first artificially create a dramatic price fall in Firearms products in the desired Port. Once that occurs, no matter how much Gold you trade, the price of Gold would not fluctuate, therefore ensuring sustained profits over time.

If the port was not protected, then the price of Precious Metals would plummet dramatically after your first Sale.

In another word, by not trading carefully and dumping cargo for max profits and fame will kill the port making a second trip unprofitable, until the prices have recovered. That is why it was advise to sell cargo by lots of 50, to max profit and fame and keep the prices stable for a long term trade. A foolish trader can ruin a port for everyone, so for merchant doing trading of goods, a lesson on how to "protect a port" is essential.
    Since a price fall dramatically status will last a for while and there can be only one trade items with this status in any port at one time, trader sometime dump one good like above mentioned by the captain a firearm to destroy the price of this item, then they can trade gold to their hearts content not fearing that the price of gold will drop dramatically for that port at least for a few hours.
    If a port sells the sell the same category of items you are selling, for example, if you are selling gold and the port sell silver, then the port is slightly insure against a dramatic price fall status, slightly. The merchant will mention the price status of goods when you click on him to buy stuff.
    Last edited by Senesino; 09-15-2010 at 10:05 PM.

selling 50 or even 10 can make the price collapse too, for sure. never try that. players need to make other things collapse in order to protect the one you want to sell.
    for example, if you want to sell velvet in Diu, make sure something else has collapse. If not, you need to do it by yourself by dumping gold, silverworks, muskets, tyrian purple or something else. You can not make perfume, spices or gem collapse, since Diu has its own perfume, spices and gem, it won't let them collapse.

how happy i am because of joining MTC and changing plans from frenchie to portugal adventurer

those stacks of gold - must have them... just must

i wont powerlevel to india but ill sail them asap

Or do I need to drop 1 commodity down sell the one I want then repeat? So in essence we down one commodity to keep the desired commodity stable? And is that stability good for 4 hours or do we need to rinse repeat? This is awesome info btw with this we can keep certain ports coming in with ducats if played right wether in fleet or solo.

Correct. that's how you keep selling the same commodity there.
    Or do I need to drop 1 commodity down sell the one I want then repeat? So in essence we down one commodity to keep the desired commodity stable? And is that stability good for 4 hours or do we need to rinse repeat? This is awesome info btw with this we can keep certain ports coming in with ducats if played right wether in fleet or solo.

Do we always have to keep dropping one to keep our desired commodity on stable? Or does it fix for 4 hours like Captain said? So 50 is the desired number to generate the drop right? So we drop lets say 50 firearms on that go, then we trade the real money maker like gold being that the magic number to create the hole in the market being 50?

We really should put this in our guide section this is some powerful info here.

4 hours is the normal pace of a price drop. it can be faster, especially when there is a huge flow of cash in and out from the market keeper. To be specific, you should see 3 times of price changes within a price drop. After the third, the market keeper says "welcome", a sign of the price drop ending.

It is somehow random how the drop happens. 50 muskets are not always enough to drop the price. 200 muskets have much higher chance to drop the firearms. if the musket price is above 100%, the drop happens easier, otherwise harder.
    same for other commodities. the more the profit the higher the probity.

but there's no magic number. drop could happen when you sell just 1 unit of goods. drop may not happen when you sell 300 same thing. but the probity of their happening is rather small. I think a profit around 1m makes 70%-80% probity of pricing dropping, which is the amount often practiced.

Do we always have to keep dropping one to keep our desired commodity on stable? Or does it fix for 4 hours like Captain said? So 50 is the desired number to generate the drop right? So we drop lets say 50 firearms on that go, then we trade the real money maker like gold being that the magic number to create the hole in the market being 50?

We really should put this in our guide section this is some powerful info here.

If I'm not mistaken, selling items in quantities of 50 has nothing to do with keeping the prices stable. The purpose of selling in 50s is to help ensure that you don't go over the maximum exp./fame that you can get from selling specialty items to different areas. See this thread...HERE ...for more info on that.

Yeah just getting as much info as possible before OBT launch. So as long as we break 1 million ducat profit it would usually mean we created the hole right? So going over a million ducat on the non-desired good would increase the chances of it dropping the market thus letting us trade with impunity for about 4 hours on the target good we really want to sell? Im not greedy, I will probably use a certain Trade route for maybe 2 hours max so I can have money to do skills. 20% goes to the bank, 20% goes to any guild needed projects (if not goes to the bank), 40% for buying mates for crafting, and 20% for on hand money.
    Last edited by demiclise; 09-17-2010 at 10:57 AM.

1 million ducat will drop the price for sure... sometimes even 500k would do it.

Usually players use high profit items such Artworks, Firearms, Gems or Perfume to protect ports, because each item can make 5k profit, so only ned about 100 or 200 to drop the price.

Then we should protect the port we are dumping pepper before we head off to India.

Quote Originally Posted by Senesino View Post
    Then we should protect the port we are dumping pepper before we head off to India.
    In early game, theres no real need.

If Lisbon is blown, we can dump the remaining pepper at Faro, and if Faro is blown, there is Porto, Ceuta, Casablanca.

We'll have to start protecting Ports when we have 4 or 5 fleets going at the same time.