+ Reply to Thread

Default I want my magetank. What about you?

Many years ago when I played Warcraft 3, one of the custom games I used to play was called Enfos, and in Enfos one of the heroes you could pick was called the mentalist.

http://www.mymym.com/en/article/71/2.html

You'll need to scroll down a little to find the description/abilities, but from what I remember he was essentially a tank with very little hp and weak physical defense. Instead, he relied on a mana-shield, taking hits to his mana bar over hits to his health. I thought I remembered him having a skill that applied a mana-leech proc to his weapon too, but the article doesn't say anything about that.

Anyhow...ever since then I've wanted to play the class in an MMO. I've always loved the idea of the synergy between the mana-shield and the mana-leech proc. Granted, it would need to be fleshed out a little and it could be a bitch to balance, but still.

Considering the history most of the people here have with MMOs, I wondered if anyone else had any class concepts they're aching to see used?

Default Re: I want my magetank. What about you?

The Herald of Xotli from Age of Conan is my favorite class. Fighter mages is the best class concept imo.

I used to pray for a beastlord class in every mmo since eq.

They called him a monk/shaman hybrid, but what seperated him from other dps/healer hybrids was the fact that he had a pet. In fact, the pet was a huge focus of the class. Pet + meele dps + buffs with a few heals thrown in. He was rather well balanced with good dps and survivability, could solo well, and had unique buffs that made him valuable in groups. Truly, he was my favorite class in any mmo I've ever played.

DAoC, EQ and EQ2 have shown that it is possible to balance large numbers of both pure and hybrid classes relatively well in both a pvp and pve environment. I don't like this "less is more" approach to classes that many mmo's seem to take now.

Hell, even the bard like classes are a dieing bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Norska View Post
    DAoC, EQ and EQ2 have shown that it is possible to balance large numbers of both pure and hybrid classes relatively well in both a pvp and pve environment. I don't like this "less is more" approach to classes that many mmo's seem to take now.
    I always saw the older MMOs as the "less is more" type. For example, DAOC had a huge amount of classes, but each one generally boiled down to small sample of abilities. Mages had 3-4 spells they used (i.e. the Eldritch basically got Stun, Nearsight, and two bolts/mez/PBAE + snares) and melee classes were one or two chains plus maybe an instant cast. I much prefer the smaller number of WoW classes, with a large spellbook to draw from. Keeps things interesting without requiring me to change classes.

I see your point, to a degree, but with RA and ToA abilities the reportoire was greatly expanded. And eq1/2 had a large amount of useful abilities for almost all classes.

WoW seriously dropped the ball with the dk though, had like 1 hotbar worth of moves, and you could macro most attacks together. Seriously reminded me of old school zerkers.

I can remember my Mage in EQ having upwards of 40 pages of spells, and I think only 8 on the toolbar. I would have to keep my group spells on a page, solo spells on a page, summon spells on a page, and everything pet related on a separate page. I remember that they didn't upgrade, so you had the older versions of every spell. I also remember that it was a blatant timesink to have to buy spells and then sit while you memorized them or something. Don't remember exactly, been awhile.

The sheer depth of that game will make parts of it stick to my memory forever. I look back at those years of playing as actually accomplishing something, even though I technically didn't.

I was in middle school and managed to make a small fortune in-game buying low and selling high. I joined a giant guild and somewhat rose through the ranks. I made good friends (who I've never spoken to outside of EQ). When I finally quit, I sold my account for money IRL and it put it towards my first car, which was stolen less than a year later with no insurance.

Holy shit, long ramble. My bad, that was just an integral part of my adolescense, so when someone brings up EQ, I get giddy.

Back on topic:

W/E in Guild Wars was pretty fun. The description in the OP about the mana shield virtually replacing HP sounds vaguely familiar, but not from WC3. Isn't there a Mage ability in WoW that is similar, but not really strong enough to enable tanking? I don't remember.

I always like playing generalists, I hate not having a way to handle a situation so I am willing to sacrifice top end effectiveness for a broad range of abilities. As an example of this, the Adventurer in Anarchy Online is my favourite character class, an off tank shapechanging healer. I also like cloth casters with pets, and the Warlock in WoW was a lot of fun. I found this great quote about warlocks:

Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock to eat their brains afterwards.

I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?
    Last edited by Alex Mars; 09-17-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    I can remember my Mage in EQ having upwards of 40 pages of spells, and I think only 8 on the toolbar. I would have to keep my group spells on a page, solo spells on a page, summon spells on a page, and everything pet related on a separate page. I remember that they didn't upgrade, so you had the older versions of every spell. I also remember that it was a blatant timesink to have to buy spells and then sit while you memorized them or something. Don't remember exactly, been awhile.

W/E in Guild Wars was pretty fun. The description in the OP about the mana shield virtually replacing HP sounds vaguely familiar, but not from WC3. Isn't there a Mage ability in WoW that is similar, but not really strong enough to enable tanking? I don't remember.
    Reading that all these EQ classes had buffs...did every class bring a unique benefit in their buff, or were there duplicates?

And yeah, the mage in WoW does have a mana shield, but last I heard it wasn't good for much.

Some were duplicates, but pretty much all of them stacked IIIRC. The mage didn't have regular buffs though, but could summon food,water, weapons (great for pets) and other kinds of stuff. Druids and Wizards could teleport people, which made them pretty popular. Shamans had great attribute buffs, druids and shamans had run speed buff, Enchanters had mana regen buff.

I do remember that end-game if your group didn't have the perfect combination of classes with sufficient gear, you were screwed. No love for Rangers.

I really hate the general wisdom of games to make hybrids complicated. I would love a character in any game with a single target nuke, single target heal, decent melee stats and a strong hit with a mana cost, and a speed buff. Slowish executions relative to the type of game.

You can't suddenly heal your whole team, you can't even help yourself at the same time as someone else. Casting the spells reduces your dps vs just smashing someone in melee, but obviously grants range. Your time is spent doing only one thing, but you have a speed buff to make sure you have lots of options of what one thing to be doing. Through careful choices on how you spend your time and mana, you can be more then the sum of your parts.

Doesn't work with most games right now though, since you'd have to gear yourself out towards so many stats. People would just play it as a heal/melee, or just a nuke/heal, not as a total character concept. Gangplank on LoL is pretty close, and everyone but me just plays him like a one spell caster. It's sad really.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 09-19-2010 at 10:59 PM.

I loved the warden in WC3. I kept hoping they'd make that class. In a way, I guess they did with the rogue... but it was never *enough* of the feel I wanted.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

skald in daoc. Had so much utility that I could get whatever I wanted out of whatever situation.

I loved the mountain king in WC3. His bash/thunderclap combo kept taking people down, and I won over 200 1v1 games by just footy rushing with an overpowered mountain king.
    s.u.p.p.y.

HA I used to play enfos team survival all day. That and wintermaul wars. I'm unstoppable at those two games.

Chalstroms ftw.

Damn I forgot about WMW.

WC3 made me obsessed with TD games, and now I can't find one that challenges me enough. Do you know of anything similar to WMW that is available?

No idea but hopefully SC2 will deliver some kick ass custom games.