+ Reply to Thread

Default World of Darkness MMO

Apparently this got announced just over a fortnight ago, but I only heard about it's confirmation today.

For anyone unaware, the "world of darkness" is the setting for the ''Vampire: The Masquerade'' and ''Vampire: Requiem'' RPGs. I've never played either of them, but I did play through the ''Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines'' video-game earlier this year, which I adored (fixed and improved thanks to a fanpatch).

Now ordinarily I'd reserve my hopes until there was a fair deal of tangible information to get my teeth into, but upon finding out that it's the CCP guys who are tasked with making this game happen, I experienced what I believe is known as, "a nerdgasm".

They've said the focus will be on politics (awesome) and "social interaction" (whatever that means). Supposedly it'll be as harsh as EVE is, which I personally find to be wonderful news, but no doubt it'll turn some people off.

Anyone else excited about this?

Default Re: World of Darkness MMO

I am but this is actually pretty old news. This will probably be the next pay to play MMO I play since nothing current or on the horizon is appealing.

Overseeing a mass of self-replicating organic matter.

It's actually the setting for a variety of games all based on the same dice system and general universe. Such as Mage, Werewolf, and some lesser isolated series. They were all unique stories and gameplay types, but since they all worked on the same system you were able to mix them all up if you really wanted to. Only sad part is that Werewolves basically kick everyones ass, unless a Mage wants to essentially destroy his mind in order to secure a quick win and not be torn apart.

So yah, mixing and matching of the games got messy in some cases, but it was still fun to be playing a Vampire campaign and still be able to throw in an encounter against a Werewolf for a challenge and have it all work technically speaking.

Vampire was always my favorite, Mage a close second. I'm hoping this turns out to be a really great game where they manage to allow all the different archetypes in the game and keep it reasonable. If the game is awesomesauce enough, I'll suspend my tendency to be a lore purist, and be level headed about the fact that a level 30 Vampire can beat a same level Werewolf in a duel if played more effectively. Of course it'll probably help that Werewolf was my least favorite of the three. Werewolf players will probably be raging their ass off.

edit:

Just read it's mainly Vampire:TM focused, which I'm cool with. That was my favorite. Masquerade was much more enjoyable with it's clan dynamics than Requiem, IMO. If I had to pick one specific series and edition, it'd be Masquerade 3rd. So all we need now is for it to not suck balls like 95% of MMOs.
    Last edited by Draconian; 10-10-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Ohshi, I didn't know it was going to be based on The Masquerade. I haven't had any real experience with Requiem, but it seems like they pretty much threw everything away and started all over again in a less cool way.

I didn't care for EVE, but I did appreciate it's uniqueness and noted it's success. I suspect that CCP will, if nothing else, release an MMO that is different from the rest. Whether it will be better, we'll just have to see. But I am watching this one for sure.

Requim is far superior to masquerade because everything isn't being controlled by god like third gens behind the scenes. And, political ideologies are more interesting than the black and white sabbat vs camirilla.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

I noticed in the few articles I read that the comments section got filled with Masquerade vs Requiem. It reminded me of all the Windows vs Mac arguments, except geekier.

I heard somewhere that CCP is being given some leeway with the story/lore, so while I doubt they'll create something unrecognizable, it may be markedly different from both Masquerade and Requiem.

Ur mom is a geek.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

"I do think that most atheists are fat out of shape faggots that would be ok with other men shagging their women. The few that can actually get a woman. General failures at life in every regard. " Zavon

I think CCP is only MMO company I would trust to do this otherwise we might get stuck with "go collect 5 werewolf fangs"